? Opinions please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by geenaroses, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geenaroses

geenaroses Member

Would some members please look at Princeton's SS and give me their opinion.

A month ago where I had taken him and got his Vetsulin had increased his dosage from 2u to 3u based on their 6 hr curve. Their numbers were up in the 400-500's. When you look at his SS you will see I've been testing him on a Relion Prime meter with the exception of the last couple of days. My current vet gave me a vet meter that came w 25 test strips. I doubt I will be able to afford more strips, but I figure I will use the ones I have and also went ahead and did a 12 hr curve on him today. I had reduced Princeton's dosage to 2.5u (between 2 & 3 on u-40 needles) and now I've dropped to 2u. You think I am doing the right thing?

WWYD? :nailbiting: Am I on the right path or should I be up at 3u?

Thank you!!! :bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Reason for edit: Add sentence and change another
  2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Most of the cycles from 26 March - 2 April were pretty darn good! Nice to see his nadir is around +6 / +7 with Vetsulin :). I think he's bouncing a little today. I wouldn't up it to 3U just yet. @Squalliesmom @JanetNJ Apologies I keep tagging you two, you're the couple members I know have experience with Vetsulin :D

geenaroses likes this.
  3. geenaroses

geenaroses Member

Thank you for acknowledging and giving your impression. :bighug: I'm still very new to this. I've been checking in... I will see if anyone else has any opinions. I was told to post here since there's most traffic.

Positive vibes to you. Hopefully he's:cat: good.

:bighug:gina

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You've got a nice scattering of greens there at a variety of doses. I think that 2.5 u is a good dose for now. I notice that you gave insulin on some fairly low pre shot numbers (the blues in the 150s and 160s). We recommend not giving insulin under 200 as a pre shot number until you have a lot more data on your spreadsheet. So far it's worked for you because your kitty doesn't seem to be extremely reactive to insulin. Another suggestion I have is to hold the dose for longer and give the same AM and PM.

geenaroses likes this.
  5. geenaroses

geenaroses Member

Thank you for your insight and the advice too. He went higher today doing that curve on 2u than I liked, but I was thinking on 2.5u he was kind of in a sweeter spot. I am glad I've had the opportunity at least to use the vet meter in the comfort of HIS home to get a more accurate reading, instead of under such stressful circumstances. I just didn't want him having too much, yet not too little insulin. I don't want to put anyone on the spot, but you're all experienced hands-on caregivers.  I appreciate all the guidance you all give. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

It would be helpful if you could indicate on your spreadsheet which numbers were with the human meter and which with the pet meter. ;)
    I agree with Kris, I would hold the 2.5U dose for now, at last a few more cycles, and see where it takes him.

7. Kris & Teasel

You haven't put anyone on the spot. We're all here to help. :)

geenaroses likes this.
  8. geenaroses

geenaroses Member

I do note in the comment area and hope you can read that, which are done with a pet meter and which are done with a human in the last cpl days. Prior to that... All were done with the human Relion Prime meter as I also noted in comment area.
    I appreciate your input! :bighug:

Squalliesmom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  9. geenaroses

geenaroses Member

I wasn't sure. When nobody was responding for a while I thought I asked a no-no question, lol. :nailbiting: Thank you so much again. I started the 2.5u this morning and I'm going to stay with that for a bit and see how he does. :bighug::bighug:

10. Kris & Teasel

Here's a suggestion: maybe put a note about which meter was used on a given day right into an empty cell near the beginning of that day's data? Sometimes we forget to go check all the notes on a spreadsheet. ;)

The human meter is the way to go so you don't break the bank. Some people who have a pet meter save it for days when they're doing a curve for their vet.

11. Kris & Teasel

Heck, no! It's usually a case of different time zones and who's awake. ;):)

geenaroses and Squalliesmom like this.
  12. geenaroses

geenaroses Member

Gotcha! I have always used the human meter Btw. Definitely need the most cost effective in my case (ran out of money this month for strips), but while I was at vets with my other kitty for her hyperthyroidism he GAVE me a pet meter. Mom always said never turn away something free, lol. It came with 25 strips... SO I decided to make use of them by doing a curve and doing a comparison or 2 with this Relion Prime. Heck, why not? I'm sure the price for the strips are way out of my league (the exclusive manufacture won't even release that information to anyone, but a vet). :eek:

:p:coffee:gina

Squalliesmom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  13. Squalliesmom

My bad, I didn't think to check the comment area!:facepalm::)

geenaroses likes this.
  14. geenaroses

geenaroses Member

I was only able to do 2 readings on Princeton today as I was in and out quickly today, being stingy with the last cpl of the pet meter strips, and he ate multiple mini feedings today. Okay, his 2 reading were AMPS 317 did 2.5u and @ 7:30 PMPS 207...I froze:eek: and haven't shot anything yet. I just let him eat bc my instinct was that was too low to shoot. Was I right?:arghh: If so, now what? :nailbiting:

Thank you!

:nailbiting:gina

15. Yong & Maury GA

I'm a little confused about why you froze. You have given shots with lower Pre-shot tests. Am I missing something?:confused: Also, wouldn't recommend give a shot 4 hours past schedule like on 28 March, it will mess up your entire schedule. @Squalliesmom @JanetNJ How much leeway is there for shot time with Vetsulin?

16. Yong & Maury GA

If his shot times are at 08:00 amd 20:00, don't give insulin now because it's an hour past. :)

17. geenaroses

geenaroses Member

It's normally 7/7:30, but his number was 200 and I thought if it was 200 (thereabouts) or under I shouldn't give him a shot. But should I test him again in a while and see if he requires some insulin then or just go until morning?

18. Yong & Maury GA

I would still test him again to see how he's doing without the insulin but since it's over 90 minutes since shot was due, just wait until morning. You are fine to not shoot below 200 until you get more data :). I was just confused because I noticed on your SS that you had given insulin below 200 before. I know you were short on test strips but it's always good to test before going to bed so you know if he will be OK while you sleep :cat:.

I'm hoping Squalliesmom or Janet will chime in with how much time can go by to safely give insulin shot. I have a guess but would rather wait for a confirmation :)

You're doing great though :bighug:

19. geenaroses

geenaroses Member

Thank you so much!:bighug: I have in the past, but I have been educated now by my mentors and trying to learn from my mistakes:facepalm: moving forward.;)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  20. Squalliesmom

I wouldn't give the shot much more than about an hour late. If you've stalled 2 or three times and he still hasn't come up just skip the shot.

geenaroses likes this.
  21. geenaroses

geenaroses Member

Thank you! :bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  22. Squalliesmom

You're very welcome! :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.