Opinions regarding best anti nausea meds? CRF & Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debbie & Mishka, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

Mishka hasn't eaten all day -- so no insulin. Vet appointment tomorrow. We had been "watching" his kidney values for the last few years. Now with the diabetes, in the last two months, his creatine is up and so is phosphorus. So today, he threw up a little and is obviously very nauseated. Refuses all few except a few bits of freeze dried chicken treats. Vet mentioned today about anti-nausea medication. Vet mentioned a shot of cerenia, but I've read not so good things about it. Now I'm worried....

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Cerenia can work well. I’ve used it. One often recommended antinausea med is ondansetron (brand name Zofran - generic is much cheaper), a human med used for nausea caused by chemotherapy.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

Thanks Kris. Crossing my fingers that whatever is recommended by the vet will work. It's been a difficult day.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

What bad things have you read about Cerenia? Willow has been given Cerenia a couple of times. She has had the shot as well as the pills. It worked well for her to stop nausea caused by antibiotics.

5. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

Basically causes lethargy and cat appetite decreased -- but as everyone is fond of saying, ECID. Good new is, that Mishka got his shot of Cerenia today, and so far it seems to be working :). At least he ate a little tonight!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I'm sure it has with all that going on.

Hope the cerenia works for Mishka. :bighug:

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Cerenia is used a lot. It only lasts 25 hours though. You can give it sub-q but unless you do it in a fluid bubble it stings. You can try the pull firm. You just might need a larger dose but that’s fine. I used mostly ondansetron with great success but have had success with cerenia pills too.

8. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I've used SEB (slippery elm bark) a few times with one of my cyvies and It has worked really well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.