Ordering Lantus today...pens?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Haley&Diane, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Haley&Diane

Haley&Diane Member

Hi. I'm still new and navigating this forum so hopefully I am posting this on the correct page.

I'm ordering insulin today to start Diane on this month. Ordering from Marks Marine in Canada.

I want to use the pens as she is only starting on .5 or 1 unit twice a day. Ordering the five pack is most cost effective it seems

If I order the 5 pack, do they all expire within a couple of months? Or does the clock start ticking towards expiration only after they are opened? Do you store the unopened ones in the fridge or at room temperature until ready to be used? I know that opened need to be refrigerated.

Just hoping to figure this out so I order the right amount. It seems like the five pack of pens could last me almost a year if I can get a couple months out of each pen.

Thanks for the help!!

2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Haley,

Awesome that you're getting set up to order from Marks Marine, you will save a bundle with this method :)

I agree that ordering the 5 pack is the most cost effective and makes the most sense. The refrigerated shelf life of Lantus is pretty long, the pens definitely shouldn't expire within a couple of months. When you get the box of 5 there will be an expiry date on them, I got Mowgli's box of 5 in March and they don't expire until 2021. Keep both unopened and opened pens in the fridge, you will get the best length out of them that way ;)

The countdown toward expiration of each individual pen starts right when you start drawing from them, some things like contamination (never use a syringe more than once) or warmth could make the insulin in a pen lose efficacy sooner, but most members here are able to use the total amount in the pen without loss of efficacy. When you start drawing from one of the pens make sure you keep it refrigerated and you shouldn't have to worry about it expiring before you finish it. The box says 28 days for an individual pen that has been started if you leave it at room temperature, but our experience shows that you can use the whole amount as long as its in the fridge :)

Great job setting up your signature and spreadsheet! you're all set for Lantus land :p

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  3. AmandaE

Also! Welcome :D

4. Haley&Diane

Haley&Diane Member

Thank you for the reply! This was very helpful and I just placed my order for the five pens!

Only thing I'm concerned about is the insulin when it arrives. The pharmacy sent a disclosure recommending ordering only when it's 80 degrees or cooler. We live in NC and lately it has been 86-98 degrees.

I paid for extra ice packs and a foam box for more security. Have you ever ordered from them in summer and had any issues with insulin being shipped in hot weather?

$200 is a lot to be liable for if something goes wrong. I can't really afford to buy a pen locally though...

AmandaE likes this.
  5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Keep the pens centrally located in the fridge ( the middle of a middle shelf), the door doesn't stay cool enough consistently as you can open and close multiple times a day.

Others have rec'd their insulin in hot weather and reported no problems. Hopefully it won't have to sit in the mailbox long after delivery. Why don't you edit your title and ask about getting insulin from Marks Marine in hot weather, that might get you some responses on that more quickly.

6. AmandaE

Congrats on ordering your pens! extra ice packs were a great idea :)

I haven't actually ordered from Marks Marine because I live in Canada and we can buy insulin over the counter here, with the extra precautions you've taken I would be surprised if there is an issue with the shipping, have they provided an estimated time for delivery? can you ask for a rush option? You should check the credit card that you paid for shipping with... does it have insurance included for purchases? If the insulin has been compromised, you may be able to get a refund from them. Again, I don't have experience buying from Marks, but I believe they have a thermometer that will indicate whether or not the temperature was too high for the insulin. I think that @Chris & China (GA) orders from there, Chris, do you have experience shipping from Marks Marine during hot weather? am I having a false memory about the thermometer strip?

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I've used a vial of Lantus for just over a year - always refrigerate your insulin. A pen has lasted us just over two months give or take - based on how much Luci's getting - she's a low dose gal so I make that insulin last. I've never noticed any loss of efficacy.

I also understand that the insulin is more robust that it used to be - people carry it in their purses/pockets for hooman use...we're usually using a lot less...so you can make a note on your SS as to when you start a new pen. Keep an eye on it for cloudiness or 'floaters' but I've never seen that either.

Best of luck to you as you begin your journey :)

AmandaE likes this.
  8. Haley&Diane

Haley&Diane Member

Thank you all! I ordered the lantus and it arrives Tuesday. It just shipped yesterday, so that's surprisingly fast. Either me or my husband will be at home to sign for it so it doesn't have to sit outside longer. Apparently to not have it signed for would've changed the shipping carrier and taken two days longer of travel time.

Hopefully these pens will last me for almost a year! I did ask them to send me the latest expiration date they have.

Sue and Luci and Figaro's Liz like this.
  9. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to L&L! Nice to see your insulin is already shipped. It you keep it in the fridge and you'll be able to use it till the last drop! :)

Sue and Luci likes this.
  10. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

The insulin should be fine. I ordered recently & my 2 pens were in transit for 5 days,no ice pack. When I received them they felt warm but I was told People carry them in their purse for a week at a time without any problems.
    It's the freezing that destroys the insulin. Heat takes a longer time before it begins to degrade the insulin.

My vet told me to ignore the Expiration date & use the insulin to the last drop. I've been doing that for 17 months without any problems. My Ravan gets .5+ units & a pen will last about 3 & a half months.

I hope your Diane is not eating any dry food? Low carb wet food is best. I've seen some kitties go into remission just by eliminating all dry food. There is info in the Yellow sticky notes about why not to feed dry food to any cat.

Good luck to you & Diane :)

upload_2019-7-19_11-20-7.jpeg

Sue and Luci likes this.
  11. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Same here - I wouldn't worry about the insulin being shipped - it's moving around from place to place - some are cool, some aren't - mine was wrapped in double bubble wrap which is a really good insulation. I keep it in the fridge and I use (first the vial) now the pens to the very last drop. If I were carrying in my purse constantly for a month or keeping it out in a pantry or warm place I'd be concerned about efficacy...as with any medication - they warn you to keep it in a cool, dry place. I don't pay a lot of attention to Expired By dates personally - they're a suggestion - and the stores should not sell stuff past that date. However, if stored in your fridge I'd use it all up - we can't afford to toss insulin monthly around here (even though the package says, use within 28 days of opening)...they're not using it one or two tiny bits at a time ... I agree with @JoyBee&Ravan here... it'll last you a long, long time.

Best of luck to you as you begin your Lantus journey!

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.