? Oreo Joe's insulin needs to be tweaked

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Bonnie & Oreo Joe, Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

Hello,
    I had changed Oreo Joe's insulin on June 10th. We thought that since he had a couple of very low AMPS, one needing syrup rubbed on his gums, I should drop the pm dose to 2½ units and stay with 3U in the AM.
    Well I have done spot checks on and off and Saturday I did a curve. The curve was the best of all of the other days. He is running so many AMPS in the 300's I think the pm dose needs changing. While many of the other checks show him around 14 or 15 I question if the morning dose needs to go up a little and the pm dose back to 3?
    If someone would please check this out and tell me what to do.
    He has dropped weight in the last couple of weeks, down to 9.4 pounds. He was back in October over weight at 16 pounds. He needed to lose but when he was at 10 pounds he was probably where he should have been. He is eating constantly. 1 box of 300 grams of food used to feed him 1 day and maybe even the morning feeding the next day. He is often eating 400 or 500 grams a day now. His tummy is round but his rear looks so skinny.
    Of course he continues to drink lots of water and spends up to 5 or 6 minutes lapping up the water at one time.
    Thank you for any help you can give me. Bonnie

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, I would increase the PM dose to 3u, and try to get any mid-cycle tests you can during the evening cycle - if you wake up to use the restroom, or if you have a couple of hours between the shot and your bedtime, any data you can get will be helpful as many cats respond differently at night than they do during the day.

My hunch is that you need to raise both the AM and PM doses, but one thing at a time for now.

Rachel likes this.
  3. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

Hi Djamila or anyone.
    I am sorry I didn't answer right away. PC wouldn't open things. I started Oreo Joe on 3 Units in the PM 6/26 and a test before bed - I have marked on spread sheet. And taken a new glucose test before I went to bed 6/26/18. He was 266.4 +5pm. When he received his shot he had eaten 2 bites of food and I thought he would keep eating. He didn't he found a cool evening out on the porch. When I saw how low he was at 5 hours after pmps I gave him a bit of fresh food and went to be. It was not touched. I was sure it would be really low but it was up again- 311.4.
    I am getting low on insulin. Do you think the Prozink just needs more tweaking? If I have a new bottle ordered it is $100 and I will have to use it. I started the bottle on 5/15/2018. I guess it isn't going to last that long so I can just order a new bottle. I have about 1/4 left.
    I am so glad I can turn to this group. On my bad days I have to be so careful and no longer double check but triple check things and then again. I am glad this is not Alzheimers or dementia - I am just like 1000's of other ME/CFS people. I forget mid sentence what I am going to say and I go to the refrigerator 5 or 6 times before I remember what I am getting out. So figuring out lines on the insulin syringe and remembering whether I gave it or no. That is where your help is awesome.
    Hugs, Bonnie :)

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Bonnie, it looks to me like you might be seeing a bit of insulin resistance. I'd bump up to 3.25 if you can monitor...see if you can push Oreo Joe back down into some blues or even greens!

When did you start giving insulin consistently? Was it in May?

Is Oreo Joe eating better now? Was he just having an off night?

5. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

Hi Rachael. Oreo Joe began his regular shots on May 16th, evening dose.
    3.25 ok 3 is 7 lines down. Is 3.25 7 1/4? Sorry I need fingers. I lost all of the math I ever had. Just poof and I don't have a clue what I am doing. He is eating better but not gobbling down as much as he has been. It is very warm in the house and baking on the enclosed porch. He wanders from the porch to his water and to the floor in some room. Can I give 3.25 both AM and PM?
    I can hold off ordering the Prozink until Friday or do I need a different kind of insulin?
    Thank you for such a speedy answer it usually takes longer because of the time difference.
    Hugs, Bonnie :)

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think you could do the 3.25 both AM and PM (sorry for the late response...work is super crazy for the next few days).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.