Orion is curvin'

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Airway, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airway

Airway Member

The vet recently suggested increasing Orion to 3.5u. Today we are doing a curve. His +3 seems to be quite a drop from his preshot. Would appreciate any thoughts you have. I'll be updating as the day goes on.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

that is a steep drop. test again at +4.

3. Airway

Airway Member

His +4 is in. He ate between +3-+4.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

That does seem like a really steep drop to go from 324 to 56. I'm still learning how this all works: will you test more than every hour since he's so close to being in the hypo range? Or wait until +5 since he ate?

5. Airway

Airway Member

I'm more concerned with his behaviour than his number, and right now he is acting completely normally. Unless that changes, I will test at +6.

Djamila likes this.
  6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I'm still new as well but thought I might chime in. That's what I was doing with Maury's first record lows a few days ago :cat: But because it was my first time seeing those numbers I did test a couple times before the next hour. His behaviour was really good which is what kept me from going 100% panic mode. Angela definitely has more data on Orion and knows him best :)

Side note: Not sure if I've said anything yet but he is a handsome kitty! Your avatar picture looks like a painting of brush-stroked silky fur!

7. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Thanks to both of you for taking time to help me understand! I haven't dealt with dropping numbers yet, so I'm trying to learn so I'm prepared if it ever happens. It sounds like it's really a matter of knowing your cat to decide the best course of action - and that will make some time.

And I agree about Orion: such a beautiful kitty!!!

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I would test again. He has had a steep drop. 56 is okay but you don't want him dropping below 50. If he ate between +3/4 it seems his number should have risen, not fallen more.

Behavior is not always a good indicator of whether a kitty is hypo or not. Sometimes they can go from fine to staggering around fast.

JanetNJ and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  9. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Right, I do remember reading that on the Hypo sticky:cat:. If it was my kitty, I would be testing again. Just looked at Orion's SS again, seems like his lowest number is usually the +6. Hope he's ok.

10. JanetNJ

agreed. I wouldn't wait more than a half hour after that 56 to test. Prozinc doesn't usually hit it's lowest until 6-7 post shot... you still have a lot of time to potentially drop. I'd be careful.

11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree that it's a huge drop. A trial of 3.25 u would have been a good in between step I think.

12. Airway

Airway Member

I will update with a number soon. Here's a photo to admire in the meantime.

IMG_0399.JPG

13. Airway

Airway Member

Orion's +6 is in. We're eating now.

IMG_5445.JPG
    IMG_5444.JPG

Attached Files:

14. JanetNJ

that's pretty low. glad you did a curve today. pretty clear 3.5 is too much. :)

15. Airway

Airway Member

Safely at 71 after chowing down.

16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow! He sure decided to give you some interesting numbers today for his curve.

I agree with everyone else...he is absolutely beautiful!

17. Airway

Airway Member

I am considering asking his vet if a switch to Lantus would be appropriate at this point. I really don't like the variation he shows some days.

18. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It might help. I think it would be a good idea for you to read the info stickies on the Lantus forum to see which of the dosing protocols would work for you. The depot involved changes the ball game in some key ways.

Airway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.