Oscar and avocado. PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by oscarandlucy, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oscarandlucy

oscarandlucy Member

Oscar ate a piece of avocado about an hour ago (about 1 teaspoon or so). I've looked online and it seems there is mixed info on whether this might be poisonous and no info on impact on blood sugar or diabetics.

Does anyone know anything?

He is behaving completely normally but I have to leave him in an hour or so and I'm worried sick!!!!

2. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

If you have a local emergency clinic call there. I'm reading that it is poisonous: Avocado leaves, fruit, seeds and bark contain a toxic principle known as persin. The Guatemalan variety, which is the most common variety found in stores, appears to be the most problematic,” according to Dana Farbman, CVT, of the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.

The primary concern is with gastrointestinal irritation, such as vomiting and diarrhea. Typically, these effects are seen in animals that have ingested significant quantities of fruit or branches.

If you suspect that your cat has eaten avocado — or any other potentially dangerous substance — call your veterinarian or the Poison Control Center’s emergency hotline at (888) 426-4435 for 24-hour telephone assistance.

The poison control center can probably tell you if the amount eaten is dangerous enough to warrant treatment.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Lucy.

If you are getting mixed info from the web and no answers here and you can't reach a vet, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center 888-426-4435. You have to pay something like $50, and you run the chance they don't have a firm answer, but it's somewhere to ask.

V

4. oscarandlucy

oscarandlucy Member

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I found out my Waldo loves avacodos. It's been a long time since he's had any but because of what I've read here, I keep it away from him. But he comes running when he smells it. I've never noticed any adverse reaction from them.

Jeanne

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

The Avoderm brand of pet food is made with avocados: http://www.breeders-choice.com/cat_prod ... ermcat.htm It looks like they use avocado oil and avocado meal. Some diabetic cats here eat the Avoderm Select Cuts canned food and it has no effect on bgs.

**However**, I don't know if eating the fleshy edible part of an avocado affects bgs or if it is hamrful in some way. Best to contact a vet or the animal poison control for more info. You can search for a local emergency vet here: http://veccs.org/hospital_directory.php If you call your vet, the recorded after hours message will have info on who to contact in emergencies.

7. oscarandlucy

oscarandlucy Member

I spoke with a vet tech and she said it's the plant and not the fruit that is usually a problem for cats and that usually problems in cats are only seen after eating a large amount.

He still seems just fine. He's been OTJ for just over a year but I guess I still get very anxious...

Thanks to everyone for your support. I will update later.

8. oscarandlucy

oscarandlucy Member

It's been about 8 hours now and he is perfectly fine. He spent most of the afternoon napping the sun and now he's going nuts because I'm cooking seafood stew :twisted:

No more avocados for him!!!

Thanks everyone for your support :smile:

9. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Well, I LOVE avocados, too bad Oscar won't be able to enjoy them in the future.

Glad he is OK.

10. skybar22

skybar22 Well-Known Member

Learn something new everyday!!! Morgaine loves acvocado and I never questioned whether to give her a little. She especially likes it with some sliced chicken. I have not given her any since her diagnosis because I have only been giving treats of protein. No more avocado for her even though she never had an adverse reaction, that I know of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.