Oscar and wet food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Joan & Oscar, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joan & Oscar

Joan & Oscar Member

Just wondering about wet food brands. After reading some of the info you folks have given me it occured to me that with a bit of luck changing Oscar's diet may even correct the problem. I was advised by his breeder 10 years ago that all he really needed was good dry food and even our previous cats have had dry diets with occasional canned or meat for variety. I have always bought the best vet recommmended dry food but obviously that could be just where the problem is. Do most of you use a particular canned food? And do you sometimes feed raw meat as well? When i travel to collect Oscar (I miss him awfully it's the first time he's been away from home overnight) I will have to purchase some to try him on as shops are not close so I thought if I could get some idea ahead. I know brands will be different but I could look on the net and compare to some Aussie brands.
    Thanks for your encouragement Taline - glad to hear Bilbo's progress is good.
    Cheers Joan

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

The general rule is to feed your cat whatever low carb brand(s) he/she likes to eat and you can easily find in the stores without going broke :smile:

Some popular brands fed are Fancy Feast, Wellness, Innova EVO, Nature's Variety, Friskies, and Special Kitty.

If you're not sure what brands your cat likes, buy one can from a few different brands and let your cat sample each. You'll eventually find out which brands and varieties/flavors your cat likes.

A low carb diet can help your cat go into remission. Some insulin may be needed at first since diet alone rarely works. There are cats here who have gone into remission after a few weeks on both insulin and diet.

You don't have to. Some people feed both canned food and raw meat. Others just give raw meat as treats or for dental health.

Here's a thread with suggested foods in Australia: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... ?8,1863468

You can also use the non-US food chart: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/nonusfd.html

3. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

When researching the brands above - please note that some flavors fit the profile, and some do not. That said, consult the links and find the ones that most closely fit the ideal protein/fat/carb protocol. I have switched my cat to Merrick, and there are 4 or 5 flavors in that brand that fit the bill. He liked it immediately and have thus had no issue switching him over to 100% wet from only 30% wet previously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.