Oscar is home and happy!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Joan & Oscar, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joan & Oscar

Joan & Oscar Member

Oscar came home today and seems well, a little quiet but not enough to worry I think. He's had his first dose of insulin which is easy the worry is the hard part. The vet was really good and has sent me home with info including a DVD, diary to keep etc. They have supplied dry diabetic food and insist it will best so I'll give it a go, I asked about wet food but they said try this. Hopefully it will be ok! We are both really tired from travelling so I will see how his energy level is tomorrow. He did check out the whole house to make sure everything is where it should be, so felt well enough for that :smile:

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Which insulin and what dose? I am sorry he gave you dry as it really isn't helpful but that is up to you to decide whether to tackle!

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad he is home and checking things out. Your vet is wrong about dry food. Have you checked out this vet's website: http://www.catinfo.org It really makes a good case for feeding wet lo carb.

4. Joan & Oscar

Joan & Oscar Member

I hear what you are saying about dry food but my other vet options are more sheep and horse doctors so I feel I have to at least try this to start. The insulin is called Caninsulin is that any good? The vet said the dry food and insulin are balanced against each other. He is having 1/2 cup of food then 1.5 of insulin 1/2 hour later twice a day. He is looking well but if it doesn't seem to be working I will have to take him to Adelaide for treatment which is a lot further away for follow up, caught between a rock and a hard place as the saying goes. confused_cat
    But it is wonderful having him home and DH and son are very helpful.

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Joan,

Unfortunately, your vet is right in a way. Cannisulin (called Vetsulin in the US) is a harsh, fast acting insulin in most cats. So the dry food may keep him safer from large drops because it will tend to keep his bg levels high. But it won't get you very far on the road to regulation or remission. Here is some info on Vetsulin: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=302 As this guide suggests, Vetsulin is not being used much in the US, as it has had quality control problems. I am not sure if this is also the case in Australia; maybe someone else will know about Cannisulin overseas. Cannisulin was used successfully for dogs; it just doesn't work as well for cats. It tends to drop them fast and early in the cycle; then they tend to be high for another 6-12 hours. Other insulins that are less harsh generally give a lower drop over 6 hours or so and then a slower rise for the next 6 hours.

I know it is hard for you because you live so far away from the vet. In Canada, you can get insulin without a prescription. I wonder if that is the case in Australia? Someone posted in your earlier topic about someone else who lives there - maybe they can be a resource for you. Lantus, Levemir or PZI are the preferred insulins - they are milder and their users are successful in getting to remission and regulation. I know you can get Lantus in Australia. Another person posted here from the coast and is using it. She is down to tiny doses and doesn't post often but I will try to find her and have her contact you. (Watch the top right hand side of the page for "You have 1 private message".

And with this insulin, it is imperative that you start hometesting. You need to be aware of his levels if it takes him really low. Have you tried that yet?

I know it is hard to take advice from people on the internet over your vet. But if you read through the other posts, you see that our techniques are successful and safe. Everyone who posts here has or had a diabetic cat and was successful in treating them. Many of our cats went into remission; the other ones are well regulated, safely.

6. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

This is tricky for sure. Dm dry and caninsulin will help but the dry will make it harder because of the carbs. Some people have liked caninsulin but there are much better options. Hometesting will help you in so many ways!

Jen

7. Joan & Oscar

Joan & Oscar Member

Hi all,
    I do really trust you guys as you have had lots of personal experience and caring in abundance, without your support I would be really scared. However I don't think I can get insulin without a vet involved. I will ring the vet clinic Monday and speak to the vet I feel most comfortable with, it was a new member of their group that was on when I collected Oscar (from Canada) and I feel she was acting on other vets advice. She looked at me as though I was mad when I suggested I take blood glucose levels. I am to test Oscar's urine and monitor water every 5th day. He is to return to them for a glucose curve test in 10 days.
    I will have to stay with the current schedule until I can get something else worked out. He does appear to be doing quite well, drinking less and although a little quieter than normal is running around after our 21 yr old son who just ran by.
    Good news is I have had a PM from a lady in Melbourne and am just about to answer it, she seems to be following a similar track to all of you so she may be able to help. If all else fails I will find a vet in Adelaide who has more experience in this than the local ones.
    Cheers Joan

8. Anyname

Anyname Member

Hi Joan, Take your time sorting out Oscar, I know we all have a terrible sense of urgency when first find out about our cats diagnosis, but this is a long term thing and I think Oscar is ok for the moment! You will be able to do better but you can take a bit of time to get your head around the situation. I don't think you need to take Oscar for a blood glucose curve test. YOu can do it all at home. No probs. My vet (in Melbourne looked at me and husband as if to ascertain whether to report us for animal cruelty when we told him about the blood testing!!) The clinic has been calling to find out why we haven't been back for a check up yet. I'm going to take him but we've been doing very well at home so not rushing off to spend $70 for a check up - mostly want to go to check LB's weight.

How long would it take for mail from Melbourne to reach you? I can send you a test kit and the strips and give you all the pointers you need on how to test Oscar (about $100). Little Boy is BIG and bossy but he's accepting the testing as if he knows we are helping him. Our vet wasn't that keen to insist on a blood glucose curve test cause LB went feral in February having his teeth cleaned. The other vet was traumatised by his terrible behaviour (he was frightened and very angry at them) - so she was happy to hand over to the partner vet who didn't evoke the teeth cleaning memories.

I'm going out or a movie but am sending you this article: http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/134/8/2072S It's absolutely spot on. Don't read the dog bit - it's the most fascinating article I've read to date! Another person posted it to this site. it's very important to understand the 'behind the scenes' on feline diabetes.

I will leave my email address up for you later tonight. Im happy to post you the equipment you need - and I don't think changing to Lantus will be an issue with your vet if you tell them you prefer it. Our vets went straight to Lantus but your vet may have a reason for choosing the one he/she did. I doubt it though. Sorry rushing. First movie in months!!!

Marilyn

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Hi Joan,
    Hi Marilyn,

Glad you two have found each other. Marilyn will be a great resource for you, Joan. I think she thought we were a little crazy at first too, but then jumped in with both feet. She and hubby and Little Boy are doing amazingly well.

Agree that the insulin you are using will be okay for a while until you can figure something else out. But we will continue to nag about hometesting, because if you change the diet to wet lo carb, you have a real window of opportunity to get Oscar into remission or well regulated. But you really can't change the food until you are able to monitor his blood levels daily. (Imagine if your doctor told you to just give a dose of insulin to your child twice a day and come back in 10 days to be checked!)

Monitoring the urine will give you a picture of what happened several hours ago - as long as it took it to get all the way through the cat.....But it won't tell you if it is safe to give a dose of insulin at that moment.

10. Joan & Oscar

Joan & Oscar Member

Hi Sue,
    Yes Marilyn and I have made contact via email and I know she will be a great help. I do see your point with the blood test and will insist on doing them, he is responding well but is much quieter than usual so I know that we can't continue just as we are.
    The trouble is I don't think they get many dedicated cat lovers in the outback, so the vets aren't too sure about such things. Still if I can keep the vet onside so that in emergency they are there and get my own way we will all be winners.
    Cheers Joan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.