Oscar just puked and has ketones

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kelly & Oscar, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Oscar just threw up (only the 3rd time in 6 years - he NEVER pukes), and has a ketone level of 0.3 right now. He has been eating much less than normal over the last 24 hours, but has been eating. Is he ok? Or do I need to call his vet? I tested his ketone level with the Precision xtra meter.

The thread for our recent issues: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9364

2. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I would *DEFINITELY* call the vet. ketones=don't mess around.

3. Kelly & Oscar

Just called the vet - they just got bombarded with a seizing dog and a hit and run animal case, so they are going to have to call me back nailbite_smile

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

any other vet? can you syringe feed some water into him?

5. Kelly & Oscar

I was able to get about 3ml of water in him via syringe. I add a fair amount of water to his wet food at meal time, and he licked up all that but left at least half a can of FF as solid. Is 0.3 a level I need to be really concerned about, or is it something to just let the vet know about? I did not take a base line reading when I got the meter last week, and he is acting like he usually does when his numbers get into the mid 300's. The most notable changes are eating WAY less (1/2 a can worth, where normally he has had 2 3oz cans by now) and the puking.

6. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have no idea what the numbers mean on that meter...insufficient food though is one of the three main causes of the development of ketones, so if something has him off his food there is something brewing.

7. Kelly & Oscar

I just turned on the meter and the unit is mmol/L instead of what the strips use - mg/dl. Anyone have a conversion?

8. Kelly & Oscar

I found one. 0.3mmol/L = about 5.4mg/dl, so just above "trace" on the strips. Still haven't heard back from the vet.....

9. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

http://www.abbottdiabetescare.com/adc_d ... 000068.htm

Check the chart at the bottom of the link. It says that anything below 0.6 is normal. If you want a second opinion you can try to get a reading with the urine strips (ketostix).

I use this chart for my cat, but, do double-check with your vet when he returns your call.

Best,
    Pam & Layla

10. Kelly & Oscar

Vet just called back and they said that the ketones are a small enough amount to not be alarmed. I had seen the insert about acceptable levels of ketones with the meter, but I didn't know if it was different for cats. We have a check up appointment now for tomorrow afternoon.

11. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I guess the main thing is keep an eye on him. Look out for DKA signs and try to keep him hydrated and fed. Did he puke again?

12. Kelly & Oscar

No he hasn't puked again. He is actually begging for food right now, even though a full can of FF Tender Beef sits in his bowl cat(2)_steam He has the typical stomach of a male, so I am very concerned when he doesn't eat, and when it comes back up.

13. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I gotta tell you, Tender Beef sets Pearl off something awful. Do you have any Turkey or Chicken?

14. Kelly & Oscar

Tender Beef and Liver and Chicken have been their go to flavors. A can of Flaked Fish and Shrimp is his hands down favorite and will always get him to eat, so that's what he got tonight. I save it only for occasions like this so he doesn't get too used to it. When you say Tender Beef "sets your kitty off" what exactly do you mean?

15. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Beef things give her pancreatic attacks. Vomitting diarrhea etc. It's hard on some kitties.

16. Lori and Casper

Lori and Casper New Member

Karen and Oscar,
    Sounds like we're dealing with similar issues. Casper will throw up and refuse to eat if his sugar level crashes (which can happen pretty suddenly with him). Otherwise, I'd keep a close watch on the ketones, those who posted before are right, they're nothing to mess around with.

17. Kelly & Oscar

We started with the 1.5 units this morning and he is already back in the 300's as of an hour ago. The ketone level is still at 0.3. We have a vet appointment in an hour to check on things, but he seems to be holding steady with no more puking. I really hope this new dose settles in soon! I don't like to see those 300's!

18. ceil99

ceil99 Member

This may be another case of kitties refusing FF and Friskies???????

This is really getting to be too numerous to be coincidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.