Oscar still at the vets

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Joan & Oscar, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joan & Oscar

Joan & Oscar Member

Due to distance Oscar will have to stay at the vet for the week to get started on Insulin. This morning the vet tested his blood and it had come down from 27 to 14. But this arvo they tested urine and glucose level was quite high - so within the space of the day the news went from hopefully diet control to INSULIN starts tomorrow. Good news is he has the vets & nurses wrapped around his paw!!
    I would be grateful for any tips as to questions to ask before and when i pick him up?
    Cheers Joan confused_cat

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Joan,

Are you all set to start hometesting when Oscar gets home? If not, that is what I would be working on. Get your supplies, test the meter on yourself. Fix up a rice sack. Buy some wet lo carb treats or boil up some chicken breasts (no spices), cut into small pieces and freeze. You will be treating him every time you poke, successful or not. Surely your vet will help you learn how, with the distances involved. I hope he takes blood from the ear, not the vein. If not, you will need to be ready to teach him!

Do you know the kind of insulin and the dosage? I would find out and then start doing my research into how that insulin works: viewforum.php?f=5

Do you know what kind of food the vet has been feeding? I know you got a link in your earlier post for wet lo carb in Australia, so hope you have stocked up.

3. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Hi Joan,
    Sue already gave you the best advice to head start on home testing supplies. That is the key for Oscar's well being. Also, go to forum "Tech Support" to establish the spreadsheet, so once you start home testing, you can post the numbers on the spreadsheet and people in here could help you determine the dosage for Oscar.
    I know it's overwhelming now, but things are gonna be fine for Oscar. You'll see. Best of health!

Taline

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.