? OSCARS CURVE - High numbers in AM etc

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Oscar & Mom Sheila, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar & Mom Sheila

Oscar & Mom Sheila Member

OSCAR'S CURVE & SOME CHANGES

Today's curve reads AMPS 302/ +2 220/ +4 171/ +6 178/ +8 140/ +10 162/ PMPS 205/ +2 196

Yesterday was Oscar's 12th birthday - thus the BG was only done before eating & shooting. The boy was more relaxed with the reduction in poking and spent the day cuddling with his daughter & purring on my lap.

A few days ago he got into the sweet potato inspite of our efforts to cover them. His BGs were high for 2 days following his theft.

I notice that his Bfs are usually highest first thing in the morning.

Looking at today's curve, I feel the need to increase Oscar's dose to .10. Feedback from experts would be appreciated. I will dose him per advice in the morning.

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

He's sure on an itty bitty dose!

The SLGS guidelines would have you hold the dose, since the low was under 150. From the SLGS sticky:
    After 1 week at a given dose perform a 12 hour curve, testing every 2 hours OR perform an 18 hour curve, testing every 3 hours:
    Note: Random spot checks are often helpful to "fill in the blanks" on kitty's spreadsheet.
    • If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
    • If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
    • If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit
    However, I can see why you would want to increase his dose a bit. It looks like he's lost his green after those 2 evenings of skipped shots a few days ago. If he were mine, I'd probably want to go back to 0.1u as well. It's up to you.

3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

By the way, cats typically have their highest blood sugar in the morning because of Dawn Phenomenon.

Here is the link to the Where Can I Find? thread if you don't have it. The link explaining Dawn Phenomenon is in the "Starting out with a Diabetic Cat" section - look for the hot pink heading.

4. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Naughty Oscar! Sweet potato is not a good food for an FD kitty! Remember, you're a carnivore! Next time, celebrate your birthday with something healthier, like a piece of shrimp!

Oscar & Mom Sheila likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.