Oscar's first hypo

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kelly & Oscar, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

So all of a sudden tonight at +4.5 we get a 54 :shock: He is showing no hypo signs and has already eaten some of his regular FF. We tested again at +5 and he was at 58 after eating some. He has been at 3.5U of Prozinc for 3 days now and hasn't been showing much of a curve, and none of his lower doses were any different. I read on the hypo protocol that a dose lowering is in order for tomorrow. Question is, how much? Should I go down to 3U or 3.2U?

2. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Hi Kelly,

What syringes are you using? I would probably drop it to 3.2ish. I am not sure if you're able to do a 3.3? It's so hard trying to get this part right cause you don't want to make to big of a leap.. ya know? Hopefully someone will chime in soon!!!

3. Kelly & Oscar

We are using U40 syringes because we haven't had the need for the smaller dose changes yet. His +12 number this morning is 83, so no shot until that comes up quite a bit. Ah... the waiting game :lol:

4. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

WOW! Where did that come from? That's awesome that Oscar is riding in the green!!! Today will be interesting. I'd check him a few hours after this shot. Not sure what time you had to shoot (+3)? Pru had dropped by three hours after a 200ish PS. I will check back later, sending you good numbers :smile:

5. Kelly & Oscar

Yup we are hitting greens again! nailbite_smile I usually shoot at 6:30am/pm, but this morning I had to give the shot at 9:30am due to his numbers. His numbers last night obviously didn't send him into symogi rebound, which is interesting too. I have no idea where this came from at all, but I am happy we are seeing better results finally! :RAHCAT

6. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Great news, Kelly! And he didn't really hypo, he just went low. After all you've been through, this really is good news. I don't know how much you should lower the dose. Maybe Oscar's pancreas has finally healed enough to do some of the work. Keep up the great work.

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

That's awesome Kelly!!! Looks like a great breakthrough, and now the joys of walking the tightrope in the other direction with dose reductions!!! :mrgreen: But it's a much more fun direction than the dose increases. :) Hope the good #s continue, and no more scary lows please Oscar!!!

8. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Very cool, and strange to see those double digits. Yesterday I decided to test Tenderfoot (civie), just for the heck of it and got a 72. Reassuring that 72 really is a normal bg for a non diabetic.

9. Kelly & Oscar

I have tested my civie before and she was at a 57 before getting her dinner. I just remember reading that kitties on insulin need to not go below 60 optimally.

Still trying to zero in on a new dose level. We'll probably stick with the 2.8U for a few more days here.

10. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Funny, Cody rebounds when he drops below 200! I'll be a mess if he ever got to the double digits- I might pull out the vanilla ice cream! just kidding :lol: :D

11. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Bix used to do that too - liver training I guess. I finally had to shoot through it to get anywhere - it was scary, but paid off in a quick dose reduction path once we got to good #s. On Cody's doses though, yeah, I'd need a lot more than ice cream to shoot through that rebound!!! drinking09 I was terrified even going over 1u for Bix!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.