OT: FIV support groups?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Anne & Zener GA, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

A friend of my sister adopted two kittens and found out today that one of them is FIV+. The friend is understandably upset. Does anyone know of any support groups or resources? Thank you for any suggestions or information.
    Liz

2. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

Do you know how old the kittens are? FIV Tests before six months of age are notoriously unreliable and it's entirely possible that it was a false positive. The shelter that I volunteer for doesn't even test for FIV until the kitten is older (we just test for Leukemia).

Either way, FIV positive cats can live long, healthy lives. I will try to find some resources for you tomorrow, can't think of anything off the top of my head. But fingers crossed that it was a false diagnosis.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi there :cool:
    I belong to the 'Owners of FeLV+FIV+cats' Facebook page

Anne & Zener GA likes this.
  5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The momma of my 2 semi-feral Basement Babes (formerly the garage cats) is FIV positive. She's doing great indoors and aside from defending herself with talons of doom, seems to be co-existing well with the 10 free-roaming members of the household. One of the 2 kids is positive, but again, that was a test before 6 months of age.

6. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Thank you for the encouragement and suggestion for the FB page. You're the best!
    Liz

7. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ann and Liz,

I do not know of any support groups, but was at one time a proud caregiver for a FIV+ kitty. Chattie was unaffected by this, lived to be a healthy 18 yrs of age. He was indoor, outdoor, never ever an issue. It was CRF that finally took him from us. We had at that time 5 cats in the house, no problem with him infecting the others either. They can, and often do, live very long and happy lives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.