? OT: Is this a good dry cat food for a (Canadian) civvie?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Red & Rover (GA), Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

"Cat" / "Madame la Chat" / "Sassy Cat" (short for assassin) is going home in a few days. I initially weaned her off of dry Purina kitten chow, and for most of the five months she's been with us, she's eaten FF pates with Nature's Instinct dry available. She prefers wet, so leaving dry out hasn't been a problem. I did have to keep dry in her diet because her owners live in a very isolated location and occasionally go away for a couple of days. There may be no one to come in while they are away, especially after cottage season ends. So …

She doesn't like the NI dry much but will eat it if there is nothing else on offer. She does like this one:
    http://www.nutrience.ca/cat-food/nutrience-sub-zero/dry-food/prairie-red-formula/
    Is this a good(ish) dry food?

The closest pet food store is a 3 hour drive for her owners so I need to send her home with a big bag of something. The owners are close (relatively speaking) to a small grocery store and a hardware store. I'm assuming that there would be no dry food at either that is not appalling by this forum's standards.

It may be all moot anyway because if her owners let her out, she is going to decimate every bird, mouse chipmunk, squirrel, but hopefully not skunks, within a 5 kilometre radius.

Apologies for not being around much. I've been sick and also I'm still finding the forum hard to handle and only post if I have something that hasn't been raised to add.

If someone could check out this food for me, it would be appreciated.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I tried the GA in two carb calculators and it came it at 16 - 19% carbs, so a medium level carb dry food. For comparison, the prescription Purina Pro Plan DM dry is in the same sort of range.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks, Kris.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.