OT Lantus shortage in Canada

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chris & China (GA), Apr 3, 2020.

1. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

**FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT USE LANTUS AND BUY FROM MARKS MARINE PHARMACY**

As with lots of things that are being hoarded, at this time, Marks is out of Lantus. They order 200 and (if they're lucky) they get 6.

They are offering Basaglar as a substitute which is a bio-similar of Lantus. The active ingredient in both is Glargine.

Good news though! It's a little cheaper than Lantus! A 5 pack is only $140 versus $165 for Lantus.

You also have the option of getting the pens (which are similar to the Lantus pens) or the cartridges. The cartridges are just the little "tube" inside the pen that actually holds the insulin.
    [​IMG]
    When Basagar was first on the scene, DCIN asked for volunteers to test it and see how it compared to Lantus. China was very tightly controlled and lots of people thought I was crazy for fooling with something that was obviously working, but I volunteered. I figured because she was so tightly regulated, if Basaglar was going to work somehow differently, it would show up in her numbers. Once the depot was established, it worked exactly the same.

If you want to see how she did, look at her spreadsheet starting 4/1/17

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The government in this province - Marks in not far from me - has put in rules that only one month at a time for a prescription can be purchased. That should help to slow down the hoarders. And hopefully get supply back where it should be soon.

3. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

4. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

5. Chris & China (GA)

6. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Hmmm, my vet keeps putting 2 u twice a day on the prescription... he needs to get with the program since Freckles gets 5 times that amount. The vet's prescription is not going to last her a month at her current dose. Has anyone heard what Levemir's status is?

Tina and Salem and Deb & Wink like this.
  7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

The hoarders should stick to toilet paper!
    Hi Wendy. We put the canoe rack on our car yesterday: now the prediction is for cold drizzle and snow showers for the rest of the week! Hope you are well and getting out on the water (the best place to "self-isolate"; do you have a solo boat?)

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Chris, Just dropping in to say we hope you and your family are staying healthy. Hang in there!

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  9. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

oh My I have to check with my drugstore.

Tina and Salem likes this.
  10. Chris & China (GA)

I think the "rules" just pertain to residents of BC, not US residents and when Jordan (the pharmacy manager) contacted me about the Lantus, he didn't say anything about Levemir so I doubt they're having trouble with it. (but I'll see if I can find out for sure)

Tina and Salem likes this.
  11. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

I went to my drugstore today and asked. I live in BC they said there was no shortage.

12. Tina and Salem

Tina and Salem Well-Known Member

Is there still a shortage ? I didnt know it was a shortage ?

13. Chris & China (GA)

I just talked to Jordan, the pharmacy manager....No problem with Levemir supplies so you're good!

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  14. Judy and Freckles

Thanks Chris!

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Judy, FYI, the Mark's price for Levemir is quite a bit higher than you'll find in your local pharmacy in Canada.

16. Judy and Freckles

Thanks Wendy. Yes, I found that out - my local pharmacy did not have any in and they said it was back ordered when I contacted them last week-10 days ago. So to be sure that I had enough, I paid more, but the Levemir is on it's way from Mark's.

17. Chris & China (GA)

UPDATE....Marks has fixed their supply problem and now have plenty of Lantus