OTJ 2yrs now high #'s -Meter?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Abraham, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abraham

Abraham New Member

Abraham has been off insulin since 12/19/08, diet controlled. We have randomly spot checked him (home testing) since. He recently started to have high numbers (200's - 375) when checked daily. We took him to the vet recently and he was put on Prozinc 1 unit b.i.d. He was a Vetsulin user before.

This morning I checked him before feeding and he was 170. I did not give him the 1 unit of prozinc. I then checked him 2hours later, at 9:26, and he was 329.

I thought this was a rather large jump so I tested him again, 2 minutes later at 9:28 a.m. and he was 252. We use a ReliOn Ultima meter. What would cause this, batteries, bad meter?

Is this change in two minutes even possible? I am considering not shooting him until the meter is replaced?

Thoughts, Comments?

Thanks Folks

Todd

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

There can be a variance of about 20% give or take, but that would put your lower number at about 264 instead of 329. Can you check the meter? I don't believe the Relion comes with a control solution, so you may have to check your own blood and see what the meter reads.

A cat can come off honeymoon due to infections, bad teeth, or other things like pancreatitis or stress. Has your kitty been to the vet? If not, I'd get some bloodwork done, check the urine for infection and have the teeth looked at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.