OTJ After 2 years???

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Klaree and Ollie, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klaree and Ollie

Klaree and Ollie Member

Hi everyone,

We are new to FDMB although Ollie was diagnosed just under 2 years ago. After reading and reading through the material here I feel terrible that I did not do this before. I'm also angry that my Vet didn't educate me on all of our options. Instead we were only told about the 'high fiber' diet and consequently Ollie needed LOADS of Vetsulin. Ollie was on Vetsulin until 2 weeks ago. I've read so many success stories of remission from newly diagnosed cats and was wondering if there were any OTJ stories for cats that had been diabetic for a longer period of time...closer to 2 years? We've always home-tested and now we are feeding only Wellness canned and keeping a spreadsheet updated.

Fingers crossed...

Klaree and Ollie

2. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Hi ,fingers crossed here too. This is a great place my Trey was dx 6 weeks ago and he is down to 0.5units He is doing great on can food only ....all 4 of my cats are off the dry food for good ...LOL Kath :mrgreen:

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well it is inspirational to those who have been doing this for long enough that they don't think they'll ever get otj. congrats. remember no dry kibble ever again. my tom was otj for 2.5 years and i started giving the dry kibble treats...well, we've been back on the juice for 6 months now.
    lori

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

yes there are many cats who have been diabetic for a couple years or longer and went OTJ.

However, are you aware of the recall regarding vestulin? And that the manufacturer even said to not use their product?

There are other insulin choices you can use such as lantus, levimer or prozinc.
    You can check them out by going to the insulin support groups.

Are you home testing?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hillary she did mention she was always hometesting. but sounds like she was on the wrong diet so this is really miraculous.

6. Klaree and Ollie

Klaree and Ollie Member

Sorry guys! I must have been confusing. We were on the Vetsulin/Hill's WD then MD for 1 year 10 months, switched to Lantus two weeks ago, joined FDMB yesterday and threw out the dry kibble - only canned Wellness for my guys now. Ollie is NOT OTJ :(....I'm hoping to get there and was wondering if there were any stories of cats going OTJ after living with diabetes for at least 2 years. I only heard of the Vetsulin recall AFTER I tried to re-order it from 1800PetMeds. I was told by my Vet at the time that Vetsulin was the best for cats....and high fiber/high carb was good too! I am just hoping that it isn't too late for Ollie's pancrease to wake back up.....that is why my fingers are crossed.

But I have to say that this place (FDMB) is amazing! Thanks to everyone.

Klaree and Ollie

7. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Jock's original vet gave us bad advice on diet and insulin too. But he gave us one bit of good advice for which I thank him -- he said to check the internet for good advice. Jock and I have been learning together (and teaching the vets) ever since!

And yes Jock went OTJ after 4 years, for a full month, but then lost it when he got liver disease!

8. Klaree and Ollie

Klaree and Ollie Member

Hi Steve and Jock!

Thanks for the post! I'm glad that Jock achieved remission, even if it was only fleeting, and wish you both the best of luck dealing with another stubborn organ. I can't help but feel optimistic about Ollie...he's such a robust cat. I'm certainly going to do everything I can.

Best,
    Klaree and Ollie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.