OTJ and then hypoglycemic?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by thepeach80, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thepeach80

thepeach80 Member

I haven't been testing Arnold like I should so I don't have more details (his SS is not up to date, sorry), but has anyone had a cat go chronically hypo after coming OTJ? He was dx 2/1 and his last shot was 2/17. I'm not feeling well today and was up at 5 to a mad cat, so I fed him. :) He was yelling at me again and had already eaten all his food so I fed him again around 9. Then again around 12:30! He normally only gets fed 3x a day, morning, afternoon, and before bed so this is odd. I tested him at 12:30 when I fed him last and he was 49. I tested him a few days ago at a random time and he was 68. Don't those seem low? Besides all the meowing today, he's been acting fine. I'll have to start testing him more often again. I got lazy when he had been OTJ for a week or so.

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

He isn't hypo if there isn't extra insulin in his system! He's doing just great, or at least his numbers are. I've no idea about his behaviour though!

Jen

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

those are fine normal numbers. all my non diabetics that i can test run from the high 40's to the 60's.

also something to remember, if he's not on insulin, he can't hypo (there is a very rare disorder that can cause a cat not on insulin to hypo but i've yet to see a cat on here have it)

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

A few years back we did a random testing of our civvies and posted to a thread on the Think Tank. My own civvies all tested around 40-60.

Like Jen and Cindy said, I wouldn't worry about the blood sugar.

When was the last time your kitty had a full blood panel done? If this wanting to be fed doesn't stop, then check for HyperThyroidism, but maybe your kitty has simply learned that you will feed him when he wants :)

Although if you recently switched him to canned only from dry, it does take a little bit for them to feel less hungry.

5. thepeach80

thepeach80 Member

Thanks. He was fine after that last can and didn't even eat it all so I'll just feed him like normal before bed. He was just having a hungry day I guess. I get hypo naturally sometimes so I was just thinking maybe cats do to? Good to know that that low of #s are o.k. He probably had a full panel done when he was dx last month, not sure though. That vet wasn't very forthcoming w/ info other than 'he has diabetes'. New vet is better. :smile: He's been on wet food a few wks now, we're finally figuring out what he really likes and what he doesn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.