OTJ Trial for Blu

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by blu, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blu

blu Member

3 months ago Blu was diagnosed with glucose in the 500's. In retrospect, I feel terrible as I took all the signs of diabetes for simply signs of an aging cat. He had sagging skin, was lethargic, urinating lots, etc. I brought him in to the vet when I saw he had sores on his upper hocks. Today, Blu looks like a dapper young feline and is acting like one, too, chasing his buddy Stella all around the house even with neuropathy in his hind legs!

He had a sudden drop from pre-shot numbers ranging in the mid 200's -low 300's to preshot numbers in the 100's. This happened in the span of a couple of days! Had I not been glucose monitoring I would have been giving him 2u 2x a day with pre shot numbers under 100. I work long hours and I don't even like thinking of what I might have come home to had I not been checking his glucose somewhat regularly. My vet never mentioned home glucose testing, but was open to it after I asked her about it. I only knew to ask about it thanks to this site. Thank you!

We are on day 3 of no insulin, with a morning and evening glucose check. So far, the morning check has been between 62-72 and the evening check between 78-96. I'm cautiously optimistic, as the evening numbers could be a little lower, but we shall see. Either way, it's nice to see Blu improving daily - he's been a brave and patient kitty through all of this.

I really can't thank the people enough on this site who walked me through this - even though all the information is easily found in the articles and so forth on this site, it is a comfort when someone takes the time to walk you through the baby steps. THANK YOU!

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Go Blu! Go all the way to OTJ. Only 11 more days with those great numbers, and we'll throw you a party.

3. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

dancing_cat You can do it Blu!!! dancing_cat

4. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Thats great news. For this OTJ trial I would give him many small mini meals through the day to help support his pancreas... and let us know how he does!!

5. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

I'm happy for you, my kitty just went OTJ also. I too thought it was signs of old age and arthritis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.