OTJ Trial ready yet??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by GA Carol & Dante, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GA Carol & Dante

GA Carol & Dante Member

@Bobbie And Bubba

Oh my, I have been so busy studying, that when I came up for air, I counted the greens and it looks like Dante is ready for an OTJ Trial??? I haven't been here as often as I wanted to as I am so far behind in my studies since I ended up moving. One of our clients at work is a cardiologist and after telling him Dante's numbers, he told me to do a test trial!!!!

I am thinking that if I start the OTJ trial tomorrow, JULY 4TH(!!), I am off work, so I will, unfortunately, stay home and study all day to catch up, ugh. It will give me the chance to test if/when his BG rises, is this a good plan? Actually, add to the fact that it has been a sweltering 95-98 degree w/ 80%(!!) humidity for the past few days, staying inside really doesn't look too bad! Walking outside is literally brutal, the heat hits ya' like a brick! Hah, this am, Dante only stayed on the patio for 5 minutes and had enough.

Personally, I am so afraid that taking him OTJ would put him in the blues, that I now see that I wanted to wait as long as possible in the greens before the trial. I would rather keep him here in my comfort zone(!)...I know...that is why I came to this forum, right? - to get him into remission; however, now that it might happen, I am scared, wow, hah, didn't expect that one! I am perfectly comfortable shooting 1 drop, as .6 IS 1 drop for a longer period. please advise, thank you!

Jill & Jade likes this.
  2. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice numbers for Dante..........did you not want to wean him off the juice a bit more by dropping the dose to .25 and then to .1? Looks like you're still at .6 which is a bit over half a unit and numbers are great. I see you were at .1 before but increased - perhaps see what Dante does at .25 or .1 but others will offer their thoughts.............looks great and well on the way to being OTJ!

Bellasmom likes this.
  3. GA Carol & Dante

GA Carol & Dante Member

Thank you for your response(!) - it is a bit confusing, as .6 = 1 drop - so here are my calculations with the caliper:
    1 unit = .65
    1/2 unit (.50 )= .32.5
    1/4 unit (.25) = .16
    1/8 unit (.12) = .8
    1/16 unit (.6) = 1 drop

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Glad you added that info! That's a beautiful SS! If you're at 1 drop...my money is on the OTJ trial...looks like he's been doing beautifully!:D:D However, I'm not an expert by any means...wait for them to advise...I'm excited for you!!! I'd be wanting to try it myself :woot::woot:

GA Carol & Dante likes this.
  5. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Yup, looks like that works for the OTJ Trial, and hopefully others will post with their experience. From what I went thru with Davidson, looks like Dante is ready IMO.

6. GA Carol & Dante

GA Carol & Dante Member

Thank you, me too! I did notice though, I don't think I would have arrived at this point without the calipers, so I can't thank Marje and Bobbie enough! It is an exact measurement with every single dose, I think that made all the difference along with only a 15-minute window of each shot. Your numbers are getting there, it is great to see improvement, right now it is a roller coaster, but it will even out though, hang in there!

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  7. GA Carol & Dante

GA Carol & Dante Member

Thank you Shawna, your opinion is taken seriously, thank you!

8. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

I think you mean .06?

9. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

I think she's saying "1/16th of the caliper" measurement and when you look at Dante's SS, the dose does decrease........a bit confusing but I get it now that the explanation was inserted :smuggrin:

GA Carol & Dante likes this.
  10. GA Carol & Dante

GA Carol & Dante Member

yes, both of you are correct, .06 = 1/16 = 16/100 [r.4], so with my caliper, the shorter version is .6, sorry for the confusion!

11. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Way to go Dante! Start that trail. Do you have the instructions for it? In case you don't here there are.

Start the trial on the next green pre shot.
    If he/she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time; just feed small meals and go about your day. If he/she is blue at your normal "PS", feed a small meal and test again after about 3 or 4 hours. If his/her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!
    Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. He/she may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.
    After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!!

Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give him/her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on.
    Good luck with the trial!!!

Once he/she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!
    During an OTJ trial IF the AMBG or PMBG is blue (not sure there is range but hoping under 120) the next test is suggested to be +3 or +4 to see if they make it to green

12. Vicki and Jerry

Vicki and Jerry Member

Jerry was on two pin drops and that took him down to a 36 so we decreased to 1 pin drop and then decided he was ready to try the OTJ Trial. He is on day 11 and is looking pretty good! I agree the use of a caliper and the outstanding work of Marje and Bobby to help me understand micro- dosing was a huge factor in getting Jerry where he is today. Patience and consistency is so much part of the puzzle to remission. Jerry and I wish you the best of luck on your OTJ trial!!

13. GA Carol & Dante

GA Carol & Dante Member

Hello Bobbie! Thank you, thank you and wow, I didn't realize there were such explicit(!) instructions, though very appreciative as I am charting new territory here! I am soooooo thankful for you and this forum!
    Ok, gotcha', I just tested Dante and he is at 86, so the trial begins tonight! Hah, I would have subjected Dante to a battery of testing after the first NS, had you not sent me the instructions; Dante thanks you immensely for that! :cat:
    Bubba's numbers are looking great there Bobbie! The last time I looked at his SS was after Forrest's (?) dental work, though I managed to pop in here a few times briefly just to stay current a bit.

Woo Hoo Vicki, how exciting!!! Jerry looks faaaaaaa:joyful:ntastic!!! Yes, patience and consistency it is!! Great Job!! a few more days and it is Paaaaarty time!! I am so excited for you!!

14. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

Uncle Sam photos.jpg

I'm sending a pm with details!

15. GA Carol & Dante

GA Carol & Dante Member

Camille, you are the BEST :bighug: for offering your talent and time!! :):) I am just a bit nervous about the trial for Dante, maybe I am being too cautious!! I have wondered who has compiled the most beautiful videos I have seen here, and now I see it is you, wow, you truly have a talent! This is quite an unexpected surprise; however, I am just too nervous right now to think about a party, would you mind if I can wait a bit for Dante as his numbers are not giving me a lot of confidence? Tomorrow I am going to try to get more testing done as his nadir has changed, so I am taking it one day at a time! Thank you so much!!!

Jill & Jade likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.