otj trial?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by hailey & oscar, Feb 13, 2020 at 3:16 PM.

1. hailey & oscar

hailey & oscar Member

hi!
    it seems that after a period of drop dosing oscar and having him get stuck in dive/bounce cycles, he suddenly leveled out a few days ago. i guess i was in a bit of disbelief and expected him to hit a high and shoot again at some point, but he has been consistently in 'no-shoot' number ranges for the last *5* days-so fingers crossed that he will maintain this!

ss updated with most recent checks, he still seems to be coming down a bit more each day so i take it that means his pancreas is picking up/strengthening a little each day?
    today has been the lowest so far, seems a little concerning for me but i suppose bc i am not used to those numbers......

he was switched to purina DM food in mid december after diagnosis and been only on that with the exception of here and there supplements of FF grilled (12% carbs) that i started mixing in to certain feeding intervals to prevent him dropping in an effort to help curb the bouncing... and seems that may have helped out.

he is still getting fed 'meals' 2x per day with snack intervals in between am and pm meals 3-4 times, using an autofeeder when i am not home. he sometimes does and doesn't finish the snacks between meals.

if he continues to drop in numbers, should i consider finding a food that lands between carb percentage of the purina and the FF? (aka between 6 & 12%)
    or would it be a better idea to keep the both 'levels' of food around for if and when he needs a boost or seems like he could be decreased?

id be interested to pursue a 'cleaner' food than the purina DM so long as i can stay within carb/phosphorous ranges since hes had urinary issues, but haven't been aggressively in pursuit of that since we were already making a transition from dry to wet with introduction of insulin...

please let me know if i should cross-post or if there is official ss ways to update the otj trial- fingers crossed!!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 4:13 PM
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Since Prozinc is an in-and-out insulin, with no lasting effects from one cycle to the next, you should not worry about those low BG (blood glucose) numbers. They are normal BG readings. It's been so long, you probably did not know what normal numbers looked like.

Yes, may seem scary, but those BG levels < 100 are perfectly normal for a non-diabetic cat. Excellent for a diabetic cat on an OTJ trial. Some cats even test down in the 40's when they are off insulin. Oscar is perfectly safe. He is not getting insulin. There is no "depot" storage area to be providing little doses of insulin like there is with lantus or levemir.

His pancreas is doing the insulin production on it's own. All by it's little healing self.

One little high blip the morning of 2/10/20. It happens.

Keep testing, keep recording the numbers on the spreadsheet (SS). All paws crossed that Oscar stays in those low numbers.

The one item you could do, is record the foods you are feeding on the SS in the Remarks column, over on the right hand side. That could be a good reference for the future. Gives you a better idea of what foods work well to keep Oscar in the <100 BG ranges.

Sometimes the slightly higher carb% foods work. With that, and a bit of drop dosing, it looks like Oscar is doing well.

Not sure what to tell you on the foods. What you are doing now, seems to be working. Why change it.

To repeat, there is no danger for Oscar to have BG readings that low. For now, I would not change a thing.

hailey & oscar likes this.
  3. HelloKrystie

HelloKrystie Member

Hailey this is amazing! I’m so happy for you and Oscar! My Sirius was recently diagnosed, and after a week of him not having his insulin, we’re trying to get back on track, and with some sort of stability.

Oscars numbers look great! At first I gasped at his lower numbers too, but I think Deb hit the nail on the head: after seeing such crazy high numbers for such a while, low numbers likes he’s producing now are scary! Such great work!

I too was sent home with the Purina DM food following diagnosis, but for economical reasons, after Sirius finished the 10 cans of DM I went home with, I switched to Fancy Feast Classic Pates. Now I’m second guessing myself after seeing oscars numbers and progress!!

Congratulations, to you both!
    Krystie & Sirius

hailey & oscar and Deb & Wink like this.
  4. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Look at Oscar's lovely green numbers! Fingers and toes crossed for his off the juice trial! As far as the food goes, every cat is different. The only way to see is to change the food and watch his readings. If you do decide to work his way away from the prescription food, do any changes very slowly and keep an eye on those BGL readings. The food chart can help you with some low phosphorus options.

hailey & oscar and Deb & Wink like this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Oscar, how is day 6 of your OTJ trial going?

Cheering post for today is
    OTJ day 6 cow in green grass.png
    Hoping Oscar is still in the green, loving the green, green grass.

6. hailey & oscar

hailey & oscar Member

oscar is still holding green :)
    amps today at 61

Juls and Billy likes this.
  7. Deb & Wink

I'll do a new fun picture, gif every day to help cheer you on. Unless you would rather I not do that.

I've found a couple of good ones for days 7 and 8. Hope you will like me doing this. Some people find it annoying. :rolleyes:

8. hailey & oscar

hailey & oscar Member

oh yeah love it! taking all the cheers we can!!! thank you :bighug:

9. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Day 6 and look at Oscar's beautiful greens! Keep it up, Oscar!

10. Deb & Wink

Day 7??

OTJ day 7 NYC subway train.jpg

Still going ok?

11. hailey & oscar

hailey & oscar Member

im honestly not convinced that the purina has the totality of credit for this, but i do believe switching him to the lower carb all wet definitely moved things in the right direction. i guess for now i am alright with keeping things as they are, but ideally it would be nice to find a food that seems 'cleaner', with little to no filler. and more economical food as you said... but id love to keep him stable more than anything.
    i think i read somewhere on here, or in the food chart about purina incorporating a lot of soy into their products which can also be problematic for cats so i'm trying to think about his long term health goals and not put blind faith in a 'vet' diet in the way i did with the urinary s/o food for the last handful of years (which i do believe contributed to the diabetes). regardless, the wealth of information intake that has occurred since his diagnosis, the majority of it via this website and its contributors, is so invaluable and i am so grateful for it.

thanks all for the well wishes and support, i know we wouldn't be in this great of shape were it not for finding this incredible community so it will stay very close to our hearts!

HelloKrystie likes this.
  12. hailey & oscar

hailey & oscar Member

yes today still going strong!
    am 59 pm 63 :cat:

HelloKrystie and Kerri & Tigger like this.