Ouch - Sky High Bounce -

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by G & I, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G & I

G & I Member

I was feeling okay at 5:00 am when Goma's bg indicated 314. I fed her a small amount and now at 0730 local her bg skyrocketed back up to 686. What caused this? She is acting fine...But I'm not so good at the moment.
    Injection scheduled in about 2 hours.

2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

It is very possible that she experiences "bouncing" - once a cat got used to be in high BG numbers its body perceives the lower, the normal numbers, as a threat to life, a hypo, and releases glucagons, a form of sugar stored in liver to prevent the life threatening (perceived) situation. It'll pass.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Bummer! but as Tanya says, it will pass. It's great to see the new insulin/dose having some effect, though!

OT: Tanya, I just loooove Ducia's holiday outfit-- so cute!!!!

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

It's okay. Her little body has been so very high for so long that it probably did not know what to think of getting into the 300s (even though that is still high). She will adjust over a few cycles.

5. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Almost all of Goma's numbers are high. I would go to 2 units and monitor. Those high numbers are pretty toxic.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree with the advice to go to 2 units now. Her BGs are high enough to use an accelerated approach (maybe no more than 3 cycles at a dose) until you stat see more pink and yellow on your SS. The risk of ketones is higher when BG is stuck up high.

7. G & I

G & I Member

Have already given 1.5 units this morning which is the beginning of the 3rd cycle. From everyone's experience how many cycles does it normally take for the cats body to settle down and accept the change? As noted, Goma has been so high for so long her body has no idea where it is supposed to be. Between insulin, subcutaneous treatments, not sure how long to hold off. I'm with you all on this, still fighting others locally and being literally torn apart emotionally with all this. Never thought I would go through this in my supposed "golden years".

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Most give it 5-7 cycles before adjustment. But Goma is so high, that the insulin is not very effective yet at the current dose.

If you continue to get nadir readings in the black, I would do slight insulin increases every 4 cycles (every 2 days). Once you get Goma into some yellow and green nadir readings, she will be feeling a lot better. And her appearance will change as well.

9. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

I am into it for 10 months now and my cat's liver still has no idea what's good/bad for her..:confused:;):blackeye:
    every cat is different, I see no black numbers but as our SS suggests - it could take kitty awhile to adjust. ETA: sometimes 7 cycles, sometimes - 3...:confused:
    The important thing is that you are on the right track - you'll see the progress, it's just not today...
    How long to hold the dose - with proZ you have flexibility that I, for instance, a Lantus user do not have. But it makes no sense to increase too soon on a suspected bounce cycle. If Goma got her lowest Pink yesterday - wait a little. I think Jeff suggestion to increase every 2 das/ 4 cycles sounds right, but again - no ProZ experience here - wait for others to reply.
    With ProZ, I gather, if the numbers are too high you can shoot earlier - and by doing that you'd increase the dose potency. If I am wrong - please correct me right away, somebody!
    Other than that I simply wanted to offer my support and tell you how much I understand what you are going thru, and appreciate it, and to advise you to post - anything and the dose ? especially - just slightly earlier than your shot time is... he time difference makes it even more difficult to respond on time.
    Very best wishes to you and Goma!

Kris & Teasel and JeffJ like this.
  10. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Plus...Tanya is making everyone jealous with that really cute picture of Ducia and the Santa hat.

11. G & I

G & I Member

I thank you for the well wishes. Yes, Goma's first pink yesterday and today she is in the pink again after the am injection +4. I'll of course monitor her and make a decision tomorrow a.m.

Again thank you...

JeffJ and Tanya and Ducia like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.