Our Chicky says hello to all

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chicky, Sep 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chicky

Chicky New Member

Hello,
    My 14 years old cat is called Chicky. He has been diabetic for over 3 years.

We started him with Caninsulin; his ideal dose varied from day to day and we had to inject him 3 times a day. After a while Chicky's vet totally trusted us to decide on each amount. It was a roller coaster at times.

Last year, we moved and I asked the new vet about Glargine. The vet started Chicky with Glargine twice a day. It has been a challenge so far. From good to bad to somogyi we have had to deal with a whole range of issues. Our lovely vet described Chicky as frustrating. At the moment we are at 3 injections a day and we have been doing so for nearly 2 weeks. It is early days but we are finally getting good results. Our vet has been great.

Our baby just seems to metabolise insulin really fast. Recently it has been challenging to get Chicky controlled. But today it seems we are getting there.

I have always used a mixture of wet food, dry food and food I prepare. Chicky is a fussy eater. His weight has never been a problem although 4 years ago he lost a lot due to a stage one CKD issue he was diagnosed with. Luckily after a controlled diet for CKD, Chicky recovered beautifully and now his blood tests never even show the condition.

I have looked at the forum many times to get inspiration and advise and today I decided to join in.

Lots of love to all cat lovers
    MaLu, AJ and our baby Chicky

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Chicky likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Chicky! :)

Chicky likes this.
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Chicky likes this.
  5. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

What a handsome young man Chicky is. I haven't heard of anyone having to dose Lantus (glargine) 3 times daily, but I hope it is working well for Chicky (and for you, that must be difficult to arrange around, not to mention sleep!)

Glad you finally introduced yourselves, and since you've been looking in already, then you know to just post in the main Health forum if we can help you out in any way :)

Sandi.

Chicky likes this.
  6. Chicky

Chicky New Member

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. It has been so stressful lately and although I have not posted I have learned so much from being here. I have filled Chicky's spreadsheet; took me a while but I have finished and will share here now; it is so useful to see all that has been happening so easily, instead of going through his diaries.

I found the information here overwhelming at first, but slowly I am learning. Crazy that Chicky has been diabetic since 2015, but my complete trust in vets always stopped me to learning all that I could about it; hope is not too late because my fur baby is having a very tough time.

Many blessings to you all and your lovely kitties.
    MaLu and Chicky :cat:

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Chicky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.