Our first home test! Atlas

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Beth & Atlas, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Well we finally did it!!!!

We got our first home test done!!!! Not quite at the time I wanted, but we got the routine started and me figuring out his quirks.

Atlas is a little swipper with front claws! :eek:

So the rice sock idea went bye-bye. I switched to the small plastic spice bottle with hot water. That allows me to hold the ear and it in place long enough to get the test strip to the drop of blood. The switching around of hands, equipment, etc. allowed him enough of a chance to wipe his ear. :?

So, I didn't get the AMps on our first round at 7am. But, here we are 4 hours after the morning shot with a very nice reading of 123. ;-)

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You must feel good. Keep up the good work. That is a very good BG. Since Atlas is on N he will probably drop lower than that sometimes. It would be nice if yo could get a preshot.

I'm glad you started a new thread. When you post next it is helpful tis you state the insulin and the does. From you previous thread is he on eight units bid of N?

3. Beth & Atlas

Yes, he is on 8 units of Humilin N, a lot. So, it has been 4 hours now and I should be able get a 6 hour reading hitting in the vicinity of the nadir.

He was very perky and wanting to be snuggled, petted, rubbed up, etc. during most of the second attempt.

I would have stuck with trying for the preshot this morning except is tore open the rice sock. I don't think he likes rice. :lol:

Edit: Yes, really I can count hours.

4. Larry and Kitties

N typically peaks at less than 6 hours, more like 4-5 hours.

5. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

:thumbup Wonder what his pmps will be.....hope you can get one. Just a friendly reminder that with N you need to feed at least a 1/2 hr. before shooting so food is on board. Can't remember if you used it before. Here's hoping he is one of the kitties that N works well for......it does happen.

6. Beth & Atlas

4* hours was 123

7 hours is 146

*Yeah really....I can count.

7. Larry and Kitties

Those are good numbers on N. Try to get a preshot BG. I am very curious what it is especially since he is on eight units of N.

You are ding an excellent job.

8. Beth & Atlas

I know those are good/great numbers on N.

Now, what I'd like to know is since he is drinking so much water and has good elimination...why? He drank nearly a cup of water this morning and very little this afternoon? Kidneys?

9. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Kidney disease is one possibility. So is diabetes insipidus.

10. Beth & Atlas

Venita,

Thanks for the links...I followed them and realized I would be in way over my head if he is DI. I think I'll give him several weeks to settle in and be able to provide the Dr. with a home chart of his situation.

I actually calibrated a perpetual water dish so I can tell exactly how much he has had and still be sure he is getting enough to satiate him. Is that a bit crazy or what? The original dish holds 4 cups and was nearly empty last night! So today I still had the perpetual water dish and took the time to measure out cups of water for it ....at least I have a clue to how much he really is drinking. I figured out for 8 cups of water. 2 in the dish and 6 in the reservoir. Took tape on the side and marked each cup. I figure with the amount I think he is drinking if I am between cups...figure the larger quantity. I am measuring cups of water, not ounces!

I've been thinking about his situation this week and ....will keep an observational eye out on him for the fluid intake/output issue.

Here is why:

When we set cats up in a new home or foster home for that matter, we tell folks to allow two weeks for adaptation to the new environment. While Atlas appears to be a super friendly outgoing fellow...he may be experiencing some stress related issues. The vet brought him back to the shelter, I couldn't pick him up until the next morning, and new to my home. Of course you realize this with re-homing cats that stress can affect their diabetes. Well, actually....everything else too from temperament to litter boxes. Even the most laid back cat can have hidden stress.

Unlike many beans here I am not dealing with my own pet. So Atlas may need a bit of time to settle in and for us both to become more familiar with each other. In whatever case, home testing is critical to him for his overall health and hopefully recovery.

Again, thanks to everyone here for listening to me. I hope by next week things will be a bit better.

Larry for his feedback and support
    Hope for reminding me about N and its relationship to food, and prayers.
    and
    Venita, for support and information!

11. Beth & Atlas

Re:We've got a pre-shot

4* hours was 123

7 hours is 146

and evening pre-shot 446 (1 hour after mealtime)

12. Larry and Kitties

The 446 is sort of expected since Atlas is on N and you had excellent mid BGs. The 446 might have been a little elevated due to the food though. I do not think you can get much better overall by increasing the dose of N.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.