Our update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Voula, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you for reading our update. I am recovering from yet another surgery but pleased it is the last one for this year and thought I would write an update. My Lucy is good and her arthritis seems to be better lately possibly with the warmer weather so I am very happy about that. With my recovery from surgery a few days ago I am being very cautious with Lucy's insulin and I have skipped and reduced doses because I was not able to drive in case we had a hypoglycemic episode and had to go to the vet clinic and also because I was still affected by anesthetic I was concerned that I may not wake up during the night to do glucose tests when they were needed. A friend supervised the doses I drew up in the first two days. The night I came home from hospital I was doing a glucose test before giving Lucy her insulin and I started laughing as I was unsteady on my feet and trying to do the test as Lucy was eating her food on the couch. I thought what a pair we make. Anyway all is well and we can start the tight regulation protocol again when I am fully recovered from my surgery. Lucy has been getting some green glucose levels even with skipped and reduced doses. I hope everyone and their kitties are well and happy and thank you again.
    My previous post:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/good-glucose-levels-the-past-week.148106/#post-1543097

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Voula,
    I am so glad you are well after the surgery and pleased it is the last for the year. Such an ongoing burden for you.
    I completely understand how you feel after coming out of hospital..I felt I needed help with the BSLs and insulin for the first day after I came home too. I was affected by the anaesthetic also and didn't realise how much until I started to feel 'normal' again. And I felt I could not deal with low numbers, so I was glad it took a few days for her to go back down again.
    Lucy is doing so well. You are doing a wonderful job with her under trying circumstances. I hope you can now have a smooth run up to Christsmas and the new year and beyond.
    Sending many healing vines to you by express post
    A big pat to beautiful Lucy:cat:
    Take care :bighug::bighug:

Voula likes this.
  3. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Bron from me and my Lucy too and a big pat to your gorgeous Sheba too. :cat::) I have been thinking of you though I haven't written to you and I do understand what you mean about not feeling able to cope with low glucose levels as you feel you have enough to cope with. My recovery from the anesthetic has been a bit longer this time and I think maybe because I had a bit of a respiratory virus when I had the surgery so I already felt a bit unwell and then the surgery on top of that felt a bit overwhelming. I was supposed to have the surgery last week but the hospital changed the date and so I wanted to get it over and done with. I hope you are continuing to feel better too. :bighug::bighug:

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Tee hee I laugh at what a pair Vyktor and I make some days as we hobble around with sore backs although Vyktor is also much improved with the warmer weather and his acupuncture and acupressure massages. He is walking much more easily without the stiffness and also his back has loosened up. He's still falling over in the lb when he poops though o_O I think his duralactin should have arrived today so hopefully that will give him more help with all his inflammations, especially his poor mouth. One of mum's kitties is getting some arthritis now too - I am sending her some of the PAWS osteosupport that you give to your Lucy for Christmas. The card will say 'as highly recommended by Lucy' :)

Sending vines for your continued recovery.

5. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Glad your surgery went well. Kudos to you for testing Lucy while you were so unsteady.
    When I tested Michael & gave him shots it was very hard for me also. I too, due to my challenges, was very unsteady. It can be very overwhelming. Not being able to see very well, no balance, dizzy all the time and not hearing very well made this sugar dance very challenging. I didn't have any help, (other than FDMB)I persevered, and now Michael is OTJ 4mos! (anti jinx) Keep up the good work, and maybe , one day, Lucy will see remission.:)
    The FDMB is amazing!

6. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Serryn. Many of us face multiple challenges but we do our best because we love our little ones so much. I can imagine you and Vyktor hobbling around with your sore backs. Hugs and pats. :bighug::bighug: Actually I haven't been consistent in giving my Lucy the osteosupport the past few weeeks but we can recommend it. I hope the osteosupport helps your mum's kitty too. That is great that the warmer weather agrees with Vyktor and his issues too.

7. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Paula sending you a hug and congratulations on your Michael going OTJ too. :bighug::bighug: Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. I also have some balance issues and my Lucy and I both have vestibular issues. Lucy had an episode of vestibular syndrome a few years ago and she has residual balance issues from it and I get recurring vertigo episodes a few times a year but also have some residual balance issues from that too. But it sounds like your challenges are greater with visual issues and dizziness all the time. You are amazing and awesome to have gotten your Michael OTJ so congratulations again.

Paula likes this.
  8. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

I think reducing the dose to 1 unit this morning was a good idea given our AM +3 of 2.9/52 and considering skipped and reduced doses before this morning's dose.

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad your surgery went well. I hope you recover quickly. It's good to hear Lucy is doing okay right now and you had a friend to help you out.

jayla-n-Drevon and Voula like this.
  10. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you Carla. My Crohn's disease can be very challenging at times but I am blessed to have good support people to help me in times of need. I am happy that my Lucy is doing well and she is the best nurse I could have when I am recovering from surgery.

11. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

So glad to see you and Lucy! Yay for this surgery being done. Sometimes all you can do is laugh, especially when things are difficult.

Lucy looks like she's faring very well. You're doing a wonderful job with her, Voula. Hang in there. Hope your recovery is quick!

Voula likes this.
  12. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Julie. Yes laughter is good. My Lucy helps me so much in my recovery and I am happy she is doing well though we don't have perfect glucose levels she seems happy and well and that makes me happy too.

julie & punkin (ga) and sarahtee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.