OUTDATED Test Strip drums?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lori, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lori

Lori New Member

Has anyone used outdated test strips or drums?

I use the ACCU-Check Compact plus meter.
    I tested my own BG and it was normal.
    Hubby tested is own BG and it was normal for him. (he is borderline diabetic)
    We tested the newly diagnosed diabetic cat and her BG was in the 400's at AMPS and go lower after each shot.

So the strips appear to be working.

Will the meter give an error message if the drum is no good?
    I still have 2 boxes of these drums to use.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Most strips work OK past their expiration date. Some of newer meters which uses a strip-like chip for coding will not allow use of a expired strip. The tests you did would say to me it is OK to use them. Strips are to sensitive to moisture so it the container was not open long ago they should be OK. If you have control solution you can try that to.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

does the accu check compact have the chip for coding? mine is not a compact and will not work at all past expy.
    i never heard of 'drum' before, what is that?

4. Lori

Lori New Member

pre-loaded drum holds 17 strips.
    Since my husband is borderline diabetic, his insurance pays for these. I do not know how much they cost normally.

click on the video on this page. it shows it and explains it.
    http://staging.libertymedical.com/d...accu-chek-glucose-meters/accu-chek-cplus.aspx

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Per the manual the strips are self coding since the drum has a barcode that the meter reads for the proper code. Also, once opened, a drum should be used within 90 days. The meter keeps track of that but that can me reset by opening the drum door. The drum has an expiration date but per the manual it is up to the user to comply discard expired strips/drums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.