Outdated test strips?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lori in Ohio, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lori in Ohio

Lori in Ohio Member

I have 2 boxes of outdated test strip drums for the Accu-Check Compact plus.

Can these be used?
    my husband uses them and has not noticed a difference in his readings. He is borderline diabetic so doesnt use them all the time.

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

People haven't usually had problems with recently outdated test strips. If you start getting a change in pattern then you could suspect that they might not be accurate. Also good to use your control solution on them to check.

Only thing I know about the accu check Aviva is is uses a code strip that you put in your glucometer. If this is outdated it won't work. Not sure about your accucheck compact plus.

3. Lori in Ohio

Lori in Ohio Member

The Accu-Chek compact plus uses a test strip drum that stays inside the meter.
    I checked my BG with it yesterday and it was normal.
    I checked my cat's this morning for the first time and it was 95.

She is suspected of having possible pancreaitis or hepetitis or just an infection, because her BG was 460 one day at the vets,
    but now it is normal.
    Can you tell me what symptoms your cat had and what tests were done to diagnose the pancreaitis?

I went and bought a meter just like my husbands to use on my cats, since he has the 2 boxes of test strip drums he rarely uses.
    I did not know they can be outdated until I looked yesterday and saw the outdated dates.

4. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

I use a Contour meter and recently bought a box of strips that expired Oct. 2009. I tested the strips with control solution and the results were within range.

However, in practice the expired strips give me a bg reading at least 50 higher than non-expired strips. I found that out by testing the same blood sample with both an expired strip and a "new" one. Buddha's numbers are higher than normal, so I'm wondering if the expired strips are good on the normal range but get more out of wack at the higher numbers.

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Granted, my meter is anciuent but I used e0pired stripps for years after squeak went off of insulin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.