Outside- food question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Glassgoblin, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

This might be a stupid question, but I've been wondering about this for the last week as the weather has been improving. My kitty wants to go outside; she has always been a 98% indoor cat, but we live in a rural area and have a big yard with trees, grass, and pet-safe plants, so in the summer she usually goes outside when we have the dogs out. She doesn't like staying outside by herself for very long and has always stayed close to the deck where I can find her in less than a minute. She is vaccinated and treated for fleas/ticks.

The thing is, like a lot of cats, Jaxa like to snack on some grass. We don't use any chemicals, or treatments for weeds, plus we have wild catnip growing in the yard, and plantain, but now I am wondering- will these things affect her blood sugars? I want her to be able to lay in the sun for a while, and trying to prevent her from nibbling on grass might be pretty hard.

Does anyone else go through this with a kitty? Do you let them eat grass?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

My cat is outside right now. He occasionally eats grass and it doesn’t affect his glucose.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Love your new photo of Jaxa! So pretty! :smuggrin:

I buy cat grass periodically for my three condo cats and it has no negative effect on Teasel's BG. Let her out to enjoy the sun and grass nibbling - so therapeutic for her. Wish I could do the same for my kitties. :)

Squalliesmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.