overdose of coq10

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sun, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sun

sun Member

needs urgent advise from you folks

i just realize i overdosed my cat of coq10 for a few times for the last 2 months.
    no wonder she was quite good in the first two weeks when on vet's coq10, and then started to be unstable aftewards.
    i thought the cap from the vet is 50 mg (vet didn't list that clearly). then, i just knew it is in fact 10mg (as my cat is small just 6p).
    i fed her then 5 times more than needed for 2 months...

i wonder if the constant vomiting is because of that.
    lucky, today i checked everything including the supplements to avoid mistakes.

may i ask, should i stop it for 1-2 weeks before resuming the 10mg per day?
    anything i have to do? as i overdose her for so long, is there any problem when i resume 10mg? will that be not effectively anymore?

i felt so bad when knowing this...
    on the prescription of the vet, it didn't state the mg (this is a BAD practice of hong kong vets because they want to prevent us to buy them by ourselves, and they can earn sooooooo much more by selling at 5-8 times more expansive), but my mistake didn't ask for it clear enough and just assumed it...

pls advise.
    quite upset...
    anson

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

This page says the dosage for cats is 30 mg twice daily, up to 100 mg for severe situations twice daily.

This page says 20mg every other day. It also says " In case of accidental overdose, contact your veterinarian immediately."

This page, which is Lynette's page and thus one I trust, says 30mg every other day, up to 30mg/day.

Given you are in Hong Kong, I am not sure whether the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Hotline would be of use to you, but just in case you are on Skype or otherwise have international phone coverage, its number in the US is 888-426-4435. There is a charge to open a case, somewhere in the $50 to $870 range.

Could you call the vet for advice?

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

From what I remember reading about it and what I can find now........you do not stop it. People, even one cat, relapsed from a sudden stop. If you need to stop, you have to wean them off gradually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.