Overdose of Remeron

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mandy Lai, Sep 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandy Lai

Mandy Lai New Member

I made a huge mistake and I fed Siu Bo the entire 15mg Remeron this morning right before his breakfast. I have to come back to work after taking one week off. My parents are looking after him now. They said he's a bit too active, but aside from that nothing too wrong. I called the clinic this morning and they said I should keep monitoring him and call again at 10:00 when the vet would arrive.

I'm so scared now. I'm so sorry for being this careless.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

You are human and we all make mistakes. :bighug: It is quite often the practice of vets to cut Remeron tablets into the appropriate dose so that overdoses don't occur and that would have prevented this overdose. Not knowing how long ago you gave the Remeron, it may be too late to induce vomiting to keep him from absorbing as much of the drug. Here is some information about potential side effects.

Mirtazipine Side Effects.PNG
    Hopefully you have been able to speak with the vet by now and got some medical advice on whether cyproheptadine should be administered as an antidote.

Mandy Lai and Red & Rover (GA) like this.
  3. Lillie

Lillie Member

I hope your kitty is ok. I had a similar thing happen with my kitty and had to rush him to the ER. It was one of my meds that I gave him because I mistook it for one of his. I was a mess and so mad at myself for making a mistake like that so I know how you feel. They were concerned about serotonin syndrome and he was given charcoal and some other meds and kept him over night to monitor. I hope everything turns out ok for you and your kitty.

Mandy Lai likes this.
  4. Mandy Lai

Mandy Lai New Member

Thank you both very much! Sorry I'm being lazy and I'll just copy my reply from my other post to report about Siu Bo

My mom did say Siu Bo's a bit hyper and moved around this morning, after mom and dad fed him (the third pack of Royal Canin diabetic pouch since last night), he's calmed down and then he slept.

Just now during lunch i went home and brought him to the vet. After seeing him, the vet said he should be okay, and he actually gained 200 grams of weight (back to 6.1kg) overnight! He's been eating his syringe food properly, not struggling when feeding him, no vomitting. The vet said for the time being we should keep feeding him and will do blood test again in a few days. So I presume Siu Bo's stabilized for the time being.

But the vet did mention Siu Bo's a bit weird, cuz usually being diabetic will make the blood "acidic", but from Siu Bo's blood work he's actually towards slightly "alkaline". They are trying to figure out what that implies.

I'm a bit relieved now, and will keep going with the feeding. Hopefully he will be wanting to eat on his own in a few days time, and his appointment with his regular vet will be on 23rd September this saturday.

Thank you all again! I just rushed back to office and now i'll sneak to pantry to eat my lunch.

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Very happy to her Siu Bo is doing alright. Finger crossed he will start eating on his own very soon! Thanks for the update. We all worry about all the kitties around here! :D

Mandy Lai likes this.
  6. Mandy Lai

Mandy Lai New Member

Thank you so much for your kind concern and advice! Just now he had another 25g of food as supper and then went to bed. I hope I will be able to report soon that he is eating on his own :cat:

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

That's a good thing - the more alkaline the blood is the more germs of any kind can't take hold! Glad everything seems to be going OK...

HUGS too,

Mandy Lai likes this.
  8. Mandy Lai

Mandy Lai New Member

Thank you so much! He's eaten a few biscuits on his own this morning! That's a step ahead and we are all so happy! But we do keep on syringe feeding him.

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.