Overweight cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sam the cat, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam the cat

Sam the cat New Member

Last year my diabetic cat (sam ) died and I mentioned that his brother (Todd) was still with me. Some of you had said that it was possible for todd to get diabetes, well with in the last 4 months todd has gained a lot of weight, his stomach is tight as a drum , and round. I did change his diet from dry to wet food but this stomach thing has happened just lately, like I said 3 to 4 months, I am really concerned about Todd born on 6/4/2005, I have called a vet and she would like to see him, the only problem with that is the last time I took him there he started foaming at the mouth and was freaking out really bad, I don't know if he can make another trip like that. I have been watching the amount of food that I give him but his stomach looks the same , any idea on what I should do, thank you

2. Jake and Riley

Jake and Riley New Member

Sorry to hear about Todd. Check with your vet, they might make house calls, I just found out my vet does this. If not, there might be other vets that offer this service. It'll probably cost a bit more, but could well be worth it, as it'll help take some stress off both you and Todd. I hope he's ok..

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

If you cannot get a mobile vet to come to you, perhaps you could get something from your vet to give him prior to the vet visit to calm him. I had a cat once that had to be given something any time I had to take him out of the house.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Definitely sounds like Todd needs to see a vet. I have an old guy who is an absolute monster at the vet (big red caution on his file) and always had to be sedated to be handled. My vet suggested giving him Benadryl so you could ask your vet about getting something OTC to help calm Todd down a before the visit.

5. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about this. Valium is one drug commonly given by vets for extremely stressed animals that need to come in. It is a VERY small portion of the lowest dose pills they make for humans, obviously need vets advice on dose, based on weight. It is such a small dose, you may need a single edge razor blade to cut the portion from the pill. Vet can call prescription in to a local pharmacy. Ask vets advice if they think this would help minimize the trauma for your cat if you have to end up taking him in. It will just make the cat very relaxed and a little “drunk” for a few hours. Good luck.

6. Sam the cat

Sam the cat New Member

Thank you

7. Sam the cat

Sam the cat New Member

8. Sam the cat

Sam the cat New Member

Thank you

9. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Just saw this on gabapentin when I was researching it as my cat was on it in the past for pain relief after a dental. New use they are finding is it calms stressed cats. Worth looking into, also check if any contraindications with existing conditions and medications with your vet.

https://www.acatclinic.us/anti-anxiety-medication-cats-gabapentin/
    https://fearfreepets.com/study-gabapentin-reduces-stress-cats-veterinary-visits/

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.