Overwhelmed but SO glad to find you!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Beth61, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth61

Beth61 Member

Hello fellow cat lovers,

My older cat (I have 2) just got diagnosed yesterday with diabetes. Although I'm freaked out right now, at least I know what is the problem. Spike and I have been through thick and thin. He's a 'tuxedo' guy, almost 13 years old. I feel like a 'bad' Mom 'cuz I have been researching, and reading Dr. Hodgkins' book ('Your Cat: Simple New Secrets a a Longer, Stronger Life')... what I fed him probably is strongly related to his diabetes.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded intro. Just so glad for this website, and others I've found.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as Friskies pates. see Cat Info for more info,
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion, Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!)

3. Alix

Alix Member

Welcome to the FDMB!!! We all know how you are feeling - just remember to breathe!!! Everyone on this site is very supportive and all are willing to give either help, advise, virtual hugs, or all three.

Please let us know the insulin Spike is on and how soon you will be learning to home test (strongly suggested before any food changes - strongly urged!!! Pretty vital in fact!!!)

Hugs and welcome again

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Beth and Spike, and welcome to FDMB! :bighug:

A diagnosis of diabetes can seem a bit overwhelming at first, but everyone here understands how you feel. And in a very short while managing Spike's diabetes will become part of your normal routine.
    Some cats will need insulin for life, and some cats will go into remission from their diabetes (ie, become diet-controlled) either temporarily or permanently.

Please don't feel you are in any way to blame for Spike's diabetes. Many of us were feeding inappropriate diets before our cats were diagnosed, and sometimes on the advice of our vets....

If Spike isn't yet on insulin then this could be a good time to transition him to low carb wet food.
    If Spike is now on insulin then we'd advise that you only switch to low carb wet food if/when you have learned to monitor his blood glucose at home. That's because switching to low carb wet can drop the blood glucose quite a bit in some cats, and that may mean that the insulin dose is too high and needs to be reduced. Too much insulin can result in hypoglycemia (and, despite what may be said on other sites, a low carb diet will not offer protection from that.)

Most of us test our cats' blood glucose at home. This is way easier than it sounds, and doesn't hurt the kitty at all. And if you reward each test (or attempted test) with a treat the kitty can actually come to enjoy test times!
    Here's a link to the FDMB page of hometesting info, tips and tricks, and example videos.
    Hometesting Links and Tips

Please ask any questions you want to. We're here to help.

Welcome aboard, Beth!

Eliz

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  5. Beth61

Beth61 Member

6. Beth61

Beth61 Member

Oh thank you all so much!!! I will try to remember about breathing...

Spike has been eating Fancy Feast for quite awhile, and he loves it, so thank goodness for that. I feed him Friskies also, then stopped momentarily 'cuz I read cereal/soy was listed as an ingredient. Aren't we to avoid any kind of cereal, grain, filler-type stuff in cat food? Otherwise as I said, Spike loves the canned stuff.

So that's the plus. DRY FOOD -- during the day I was leaving a small amount of Nutro Max Cat for both my cats (have a 3-yr old big girl, Gemma, who needs to lose weight!!! as if my problems aren't enough now...). Spike needs to gain weight, he's only 7.2 lbs.

Yes, I am going to do whatever I can to improve Spike's condition. I've gotta go to work now but will check back here tonight and again THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Now all I need is a money tree in the back yard...

7. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

Dry food can greatly increase BG. Most dry food is high carb. My kitty dropped almost 200 points over three days after I removed dry. This is why it is suggested to either change foods before starting insulin or to do it slowly and to be testing while doing it. I leave wet food out during the day. You can freeze some if you want to make it last longer. There are also timed feeders that have ice packs and cooled bowls.

8. Beth61

Beth61 Member

Hey billysmom,

Thanks for the post! Yes, I was already transitioning Spike from partial dry food to NO dry food, when he was officially diagnosed a few days ago.

I am giving him 2 units of insulin, Lantas SoloStar, per day. (1 unit in a.m., 1 unit in p.m.)

Is having food out all day for him (he needs to gain some weight) mess up his blood glucose? Aren't cats just supposed to eat 2x or 3x a day, and that's it?

9. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

My guy's BG dropped enough that I haven't needed to use insulin yet (crossing fingers, knock on wood) so I can't comment on dosing. I just wanted to emphasize how much diet change can affect a cat's numbers. I think Billy's drop was on the high end but it can happen so you need to watch out for it.

10. Beth61

Beth61 Member

Hi - what did/are you feeding your guy?

Can you recommend a blood glucose reader? I've only had time to do a preliminary research online. thanks alot.

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I use the WalMart Relion Confirm Micro / Arkray Glucocare 01 Mini. If you despise WalMart, you can get the same meter as the Glucocard 01 Mini online.
    here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.