Overwhelmed trying to pick a new food (sorry so long!)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lenistar, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lenistar

lenistar Member

Hi, everyone!

I'm sorry right off the top for rambling (it's what I do when I'm nervous).

Let me start off by saying that my sweet kitty has IBD, early stage CKD (last creatinine was 1.9 in October) and at one point had high blood sugar (though was never officially diabetic).

After a rough summer (lots of vomiting and diarrhea), we found the Koha LID Duck Pate, and he loves it and has been responding very well. They recently changed their formulas, however, and not only did he only begrudgingly eat it, he vomited and had loose stool that day. It also seems that the phosphorus is quite high.

So here I am trying to find a new food. I bought as many cans of the original formula as I could find so I can transition him.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Merrick LID Duck or the RAWZ Duck and Duck Liver. The only real advantage to the Merrick that I can see is that the phosphorus is lower (RAWZ is 327mg per 100 Kcal and the info. I have for Merrick is attached). I think the .16 % is as fed, so if I divide that by 22 (it's min. 78% moisture), I get roughly .7% (Tanya's website lists it as .8%). Is that correct?

Anyway, the ME profile (if it is indeed accurate -- it looks a bit funny to me and I've written the company for clarification) looks odd to me with so few calories coming from protein (which I guess isn't the same as protein on a dry matter basis?).

I feel like RAWZ is a more trustworthy company, as they've been very forthright and uncomplicated when I requested information, and their website is very thorough about where they source their ingredients. Plus, the Merrick does have guar gum in it, which I'm worried about with his IBD.

I'm just not sure what to do, and I need to start transitioning him soon bc I only have so many cans of the original left.

I do apologize for rambling! I'm feeling very anxious and overwhelmed...

Thank you for any and all input!

All the best,
    Leni

Attached Files:

2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

The lowest level of P per Dr. Pierson Chart is Tiki Cat Puka Puka Luau and Koolina Luau. Both no carbs, high protein (chicken) and fat at less then 30%. Very decent product, my cat loves it. Pulled chicken breast meat texture in rich bullion. Smells attractive. Expensive. Sold at Petco or online.
    Their new-ish line of food is After Dark but I have no ME data for it. It's been popular choice so someone probably has info on the After Dark cans.
    Very best of luck to you and your kitty!

3. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.