Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christine & Onyx

Christine & Onyx New Member

Hello
    I'm happy to report Onyx is doing great. The last week and a half, I've been giving him 1 unit of vetsulin twice a day instead of 2 units with permission from my vet. Lately at the 12 hr point he's been between 120-150 mg/dl ... I've skipped some shots but when I skip a shot, his glucose is in the mid 200's 12 hrs later and needs another shot. I've haven't been able to skip more than one shot at a time ... is this normal ???

2. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hi, well if a kitty gets a no shot number than it's best to lower the insulin dose untill you get 2 shootable numbers.
    So in this case, try giving Onyx 1.75U instead of 2U. See if that helps you achieve 2 shootable numbers!

3. Christine & Onyx

Thanks, yes that's what I've been doing now, I've been giving 1 unit not 2. 1 unit has even lowered him to a no shot number, than I skip a shot and 12 hrs later it's high again, so obviously the insulin is working, maybe I should give him even less insulin. :cat:

4. Ruby&Baco

Yes you should! Haha, clearly this is totally working for Onyx!

5. Christine & Onyx

So here's an example, last night his glucose was 116 so I skip his shot. This morning before food and his shot it was back up to 230. So back to 1 unit and maybe less, but obviously the insulin is controlling his level in a good place ... maybe one day he will go into remission, but we're not just there yet. :)

6. Ruby&Baco

Well why did you go up to 1U then? Why don't you try 0.75U for those preshot numbers, because Onyx will probably show you another no shot number on this 1U I think...

7. Christine & Onyx

As I wrote or less, I just gave him 0.75 U, I was thinking that before your message. Thanks for help Ruby, I appreciate it.
    Christine & Onyx

8. Ruby&Baco

Oh sorry, I misunderstood that!
    So great! Hopefully this dose will help get 2 shootable numbers, and if not than you can always lower the dose again.
    You're welcome :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.