Ozzie 9/22 AMPS 281, +2 218, +4 60, Dosing help?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Beth W, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Beth W

Beth W New Member

Looking for some help with Ozzie. My vet said that until he’s stabilized, no to inject if he’s under 200. He’s above 200 in the morning, but 12 hours later, he’s too low for another dose. I thought about giving 1/2U but I can’t do that with any precision on the syringes I have. Thoughts?

Here’s a summary, but this info is also on his SS.

Friday:
    9/21 @ 4:45am 383 Fed and gave 1U Lantus
    9/21 @ 2:45pm 80
    9/21 @ 5:30pm 70
    He was fed at 7:15, but gave no injection
    9/21 @ 9:30pm 106

Saturday:
    9/22 @ 6:36am 281 Fed and gave 1U Lantus
    9/22 @ 8:30am 218
    9/22 @ 10:30am 60

2. Beth W

Beth W New Member

Just tested again at +6 and he’s at 71. Still looking for dosing suggestions.

3. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

You may want to edit your title to add a question mark prefix and include something like Question. Need Help in the title.

4. Beth W

Beth W New Member

Thanks for the suggestion!

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

He dropped below 68 on the AT and so I would decrease his dose to 0.75u.

In this forum, we shoot anything above 68 (AT) as long as it is safe to do so (have data, have strips and HC food/gravy/syrup, and are available/able to test). For new members like yourself, we shoot anything above 150 with the current dose so that means if you get a 150 or higher, you can shoot 0.75u now.
    We teach you to gradually shoot lower and lower until you are confident in shooting those numbers that are 68 and above.

Next time you get a 150 or below at preshot, we ask that you not feed him but post and ask for help. There are options we have to help you depending on your circumstances (e.g. are you able and available to test, do you have supplies, etc). If someone helps you shoot, they usually stay with you (or tag team with another experienced member) until we know for certain numbers are stable and not going to drop further. In this way, we can help you learn to shoot lower and lower safely.

While some vets jump the gun on stopping insulin, we gradually decrease the dose by 0.25u (unless there is some extenuating circumstance) to where you are seeing all greens with just a drop of insulin. Once he earns a reduction from a drop by either dropping below 68 or spending a week in mostly green numbers, then we start a remission trial.

Does that help?

6. Beth W

Beth W New Member

That does help, but I’m not sure how I could possibly read see a difference of 0.25U with the syringes I’m currently using. I have 3/10ml syringes. Are there other syringes with additional markings that can be read more clearly for these small changes?

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Yes; the syringes we use here should be U100, 0.3cc with variable gauges (most use 30g or 31g as they are smaller) and most companies make them with 1/2u markings. What brand of syringes are you using?

If you scroll down in this post, you’ll see some dose example photos and the one on the bottom right shows 0.75u.