Ozzie home - shot tonight - looking well!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by lauren77, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lauren77

lauren77 Member

Hi everybody - I just wanted to say with a little trepidation that the big guy who is not so big now has come home - lost quite a bit of weight and looking like a little white poodle w/ his shaved legs, but glad to be home, I think?
    Found out from his test for pancreatitis that he has mild irritation w/ that caveat they feel that the dosage of 2.5 of Lantus starting yesterday morning is erring on the side of caution.

After first try of 4.5 units on Thursday evening when he fell quite a bit they decided on 2.5 units - this is the data for the last two days.
    11/4
    8pm 134 - 2.5 units given
    9pm 80
    10pm 81 dextrose started
    11pm 67
    12 am 126
    2am 118
    4am 322 - dextrose stopped
    6am 440
    8am 457

11/5
    10am high
    12pm 477
    2pm 366
    4pm 381
    6pm 326

So without too many variables he is now 2.5 units. I have to take his bg at 1am and then again at 7am. I then have to call the Dr in the morning at 7.30 am before I shoot w/ those readings and she will decide whether to increase the dose. His regular Doctor that brought him through all of this is out till Monday. I don't quite understand what has happened - but trying to get a handle on the whole thing.

If anyone knows what they are looking at w/ these numbers any input would be appreciated. He is on baytril for his antibiotic b/c it's easy on the kidney's she said and no pain killer, she doesn't think he's in pain or any needs any fluids.

Please keep us in your prayers for getting through this...many thanks to all of you. I will try to post a spreadsheet as soon as as I get chance. Trying to get him to settle down into his old routine and relaxed for that bloody BG which I'm dreading as much as him!

There should be a Gin and Tonic Smilie maybe 6 of them of to get us all through this - this is one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life...he is dependent on me to keep him alive and it's terrifying the thought of screwing up.

Kind regards to all...

2. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Lauren, you are doing great for Ozzie. It is really hard at first but it does get better. I am not a dosing expert but the 2.5u dose seems a little high to me. If you want an expert to help out, please put "dose?" in your subject line. Ozzie is quite the handsome kitty and he's lucky to have you as his bean, as in human bean. :lol:
    Liz

3. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Hi, lauren-
    holding you & Ozzie in our thoughts & hearts...
    and SO agreed on the Gin & Tonic! :D

celi & binks

4. lauren77

lauren77 Member

Thanks Liz and Celi for the vote of support --- I just realized the clocks fall back tonite so I quess that we are all on the strict 12 hour rule, unless we can afford the 1 hour wiggle room. I'll just be rigorous and on a tight schedule.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You can move your shot time either 15 min per shot or 30 min once a day to get back on schedule.

I don't know if there's a way to determine whether the dose is the "right" dose or not for Ozzie. With the presence of ketones, you do need to be very attentive to the dose. Not enough insulin is one way to cause ketones to recur (along with infection and poor appetite). Just to be very clear, while high numbers may increase the risk for ketones, cats can develop ketones even if they are not in very high numbers. If you look at Garland's SS, she developed ketones with her BG levels being in the 200s.

The key is being attentive to testing -- both for BG and for ketones. If the dose is too high, I would encourage you to make sure you have the supplies you will need to manage the numbers. Please make sure you have a stock of high carb food (check Janet & Binky's list for any foods above 18% carb -- many of us use Fancy Feast varieties that have gravy such as Grilled, Marinated, or Gravy Lovers), Karo/corn syrup, honey, etc., and strips.

6. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Just wanted to send some Healing Prayers & healing green Vines to Ozzie--Poor guys has been through a lot--
    May he get better & better each day Now!! Comforting Hugs from us!

7. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi there!
    Glad your boy is home

In looking at those numbers,it looks like his last dose if Lantus was at 8pm 11/04 - is that correct?

It's time to roll up your sleeves - you've got some work ahead of you. No two ways about it.
    You can do it - there are plenty of us here who have been through it to guide you, prop you up, cheer you on.

You must watch Ozzies BGs and ketones like a hawk. You must be super vigilant. You must test frequently.

Along with the items Sienne mentioned, you should pick up a vial of the fast acting insulin, Humulin R (what we call "R") at your local pharmacy
    Call first to make sure they have it on hand - no rx required in most states.

Lantus a great insulin, very gentle. It's s a slow acting insulin and it requires time, to build up it's storage depot, or shed. It's effects are cumulative
    It's onset is slow - it generally occurs about 3 hours after you shoot.
    Dosing is determined by the (12 hour) cycle nadir (lowest number) with only some consideration given to the pre shot number.

Bottom line - finding the optimum Lantus dose takes time and under these circumstances you don't have the luxury of time. Ketones can develop quickly.
    That's why,If Ozzies numbers are high, you need the R to help pull them down, at least until the Lantus shed fills and possibly even after it does. Lantus is not an insulin for pulling down high BGs fast.

Make sure that you mix some water into Ozzies food - it's important he stay hydrated,

Get his ss up and running asap. We need to be able to see the big picture, as well as cycle to cycle details.

Hang in there -
    Keep us updated

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

(((((lauren))))

you can do this! there are people here who have had their cats in exactly the same spot and will help you every step of the way. it's amazing how someone will take their time to help a stranger on the internet, but it happens all the time here.

so post with all of your questions - and you will be led through what you need to do.

people (like me) who don't have experience in this won't offer advice, so if someone tells you do to something, they know what they are talking about. so go pick up that R and be ready to use it. i have seen several others with cats in similar situations be helped and come through fine.

they will also tell you if it's beyond their ability to help and send you to the vet ER if that's what's needed. So be reassured you have resources here to help you. you're not alone.

9. lauren77

lauren77 Member

Girls -

Thank you so much for the tips and advice. I am posting again a new condo looking for help w/ the numbers. I realize the time change might screw things up... it's 6am here but really 5am. I just cuddled up w/ him last night, happy to have him home again and did a bg around 12.30 am and got really scared. I'll continue over there so it's a new posting.

Many thanks,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.