? Pablo 8/31

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole dorsey, Aug 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

No insulin last night, didn't eat much. Vet has upped it to 2 u but was throwing up three days on a row in am. Thus morning gave 1-1.25 units and bg at +4 was 90 and +6 191. How many hours do I test before evening insulin to decide if to give? Should I also stop feeding at a certain pony before evening insulin and food? and should I be waking to feed and test? Waiting for vet to call but she's in and out with maternity leave

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

We usually test, feed and shoot in 15 minutes. Pick up all food two hours before shot time so the pretest isn't food influenced. That was a good +4 but she may have dropped even lower. I would not shoot 2 units with that test. I'd shoot whatever you shot this morning.

Nicole dorsey likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The routine we recommend is test/feed/inject insulin. There should be no food for at least 2 hours before the test so the BG isn't elevated from food. Lantus is slower in onset so he doesn't have to eat a full meal, only be willing to eat. Other than the 2 hour no food rule, he can graze or be fed small meals at various times, whatever he's happiest with.

4. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

his bg is 145-150 before evening shot. Should I even give the insulin? I think he's been getting way too much and I'm certain that's why he was throwing up the previous three morning.

5. tiffmaxee

Sorry. I went out. He's working from tge larger depot I think. With so little info I would skip tonight. If you can test about a half hour before you want to shoot in the morning I would and ask for advice. That way if under 200 you can test again plus will give others time to respond. I really think when you do shoot it should be 1.25.

6. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Thanks so much. When you say he's working from the larger depot what do you mean? I decreased it thus morning from the 2 to 1.25 and tested today and was 90 at 4, 190 then 45-150. I was also thinking I should skip tonight and test before in am

7. tiffmaxee

8. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.