Paco on 5 units

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mallory, Oct 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mallory

Mallory New Member

I noticed all the usual signs of diabetes as I work in an animal shelter and am familiar with most medical issues. My cat was only supposed to be about six years old but alas he is closer to 13. He was urinating excessively, over drinking and has always been obese. He has always been addicted to dry food and had issues with constipation. He was eating fibre wet and dry by royal canine for years which seemed to always agree with him. I've got his weight down over the years from 24lbs to 18lbs now. So of course all the tests came back he was diabetic but that he is also in kidney failure. My vet who I trust very much started him on DM diet and 1 unit of Provinc. I did curves on my own weekly and he is now up to 5 units with the advice of my vet of course. Immediately he stopped over urinating and drinking when I started administering insulin even at 1unit. He is in kidney failure so I know I'm going to see more urine no matter what. I've been giving him six small meals a day and almost all wet. I give him a very small portion of fibre dry to keep him regular. Maybe a tablespoon. His body seems to respond very well but his but his blood curves don't reflect it. My concern is also the diet and the fact that a kidney diet is so much different then a diabetic diet. I know of course diabetes needs to be controlled first but was looking for other people's experiences with cats who are diabetic and in kidney failure/disease. I'm hoping my curve on Monday goes well and we finally are at the right dosage. I also have two brand new bottles of caninsulin and am wondering if a different insulin type may work better. I know I should very careful about switching but also looking for any advice on that. Like if a bottle of prozinc fell, could I use the canisulin? Thanks in advance!

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome. Feline diabetes and kidney disease can be jointly managed. There are a number of us here who are or who have balanced both as best we can.

Please post in the Main Health Forum with your concerns.

Mallory and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Mallory, welcome to you and Paco! We have several kitties that have both diabetes and kidney problems. Most feed a low carb, low phosphorus wet food with added water and, since Paco also has constipation issues, you can add a little miralax to help move things along. Come over to the Main Health Forum to get more eyes on Paco’s situation.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome, Mallory and Paco!

5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to both of you. Sometimes kidneys don't fail all at once, we made our Elmo's life pain free and quite manageable for what seemed like a long time. I hope we can help, you just got a bunch of new friends.

Mallory likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.