Pain in the butt me

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

so I’ve been double testing with AT2 and the new Diathrive meter. All seemed good until last reading that was off 60 points. For that test in particular I used the AT2 second not first. Could that have an effect on the numbers? Also wondering if I should up the dose at this point. I guess I just cannot wrap my head around how she did so good on 1U at times and now not so much. I feel like we are on a see saw with dosing. Assuming I up her a bit, that poses another problem with dosing when done by my sitter. The micro doses are very subjective even with U100 as it’s really tough to see the lines. That said is pre filling syringes out of the question? I found the attached on line that seems to suggest a pre fill is ok but of course I defer to you guys....I assume Prozinc is considered a cloudy Insulin. thanks yet AGAIN!!

Attached Files:

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You're not a pain in the butt Lisa! The whole point of the forum is to post when you need it. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the difference in numbers. Remember that they're going to be different and you've got the meter variance....so you'd get different numbers even with another AT. You'll drive yourself nuts if you try to make it make sense.

I do think you could go ahead and bump the dose up. Remember that insulin needs change...just like humans! It's a hormone not a medicine so it can't be as easily understood as dosing of a medicine I think. Meds they can say "this is the right dose that we use for this infection" but a hormone is just produced in the body and they can't say how much they will need...especially since other factors can affect it.

As for prefilling I've always heard it's not a good idea. I don't have good info on that though...how far ahead would you be prefilling?

Djamila likes this.
  3. Lisa and little

Thanks Rachel. I don’t know how far ahead I would consider pregking. for now maybe just a dose here and there. I was waiting to hear from all of you as to what you thought. Right now it’s not too tough with my dosing but making minor adjustments will leave a bit of room for interpretation and I’m scared to death to try and show the sitter the U100 conversions. The lines are so small I’m afraid there is too much room for error so right now I’m sticking to U40 but the dosing will not be as precise. Even I am afraid of the U100 with conversion. If only my own eyes were better :oops:

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

For yourself, have you considered buying some reading glasses? Just like the ones you can get at Walmart. Several people here have bought them to just help them fill the syringes since they can see better then. That might help you feel better about using the u100s when you do decide to get started...heck it might even make the u40s easier to fill!

5. Lisa and little

• Lol. Yes. I have 20 pair and a prescription pair. Just not confident in my line counting skills they are so darn small.

Rachel likes this.
  6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

In general, I think pre-filling syringes is not a good idea. I worry about the mixing of the prozinc, the silicone coating in the syringe, contamination, all kinds of things....so I wouldn't do it to leave for the sitter when you travel. We tend to adjust doses for sitters anyway, so I would just round to the easiest dose for the sitter to see and go with that.

I have pre-filled a syringe on occasion when I have to take Sam with me to visit relatives for a few hours - those days when his shot time and the time we have planned Thanksgiving dinner, just don't work together. It has seemed safer to me to risk a syringe that was filled two hours ago than to risk the vibration of driving the whole vial up and back with me since prozinc doesn't like to be bounced around in a car for hours.

I really don't like doing it, but sometimes you have to go with the better of the bad options.

As for seeing the u100 syringes, when I switched I remember feeling like those lines were impossibly small and I couldn't see them too. Your eyes will adjust to some extent and it will get easier. I'm at the point now where i can tell the difference between a fat 2 and a 2.1 on those little tiny lines. Of course I do have to stand at just the right angle to the light, wear my readers, and squint a little, but it works. o_O

Rachel likes this.
  7. Lisa and little

Thank you @Djamila I’m just chicken ...so scared of making a mistake.

8. Djamila

9. Djamila

Hey Lisa, I was just looking at your SS. Tonight will be cycle 8 since the last good number. That's about as long as a bounce usually lasts (ECID and all, but in general eight is about it). So if Little doesn't show you something nicer tonight, I think you can slide on up to 1.2 tomorrow. That being said, you've had a ton of change this week, so if you need a couple more cycles at 1.1 for your sanity, that's okay too.

10. Lisa and little

For some reason this message didn’t come through till now. Was at a really “small” fat 1 for those cycles - just a hair under the 1 with no light in between. Today I bumped her to what I would say is a a true 1.1 under the 1 line with a bit of space or “ light” between. So far not so good. Will give that 1 more day and then put on my big girl pants grab that U 100 and go for 1.2 on Friday if needed. Thanks for all your support. I can be such a weenie.