Pancreatitis and Stagnant Numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Buddy’s Ma, May 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddy’s Ma

Buddy’s Ma Member

Hi gang,

So Buddy’s had a solid curve that has been decreasing since he came home, he was averaging 19mmol/L at first and is now averaging 12mmol/L. Today, however, he hasn’t had a nadir at all. He’s been stagnant at 13 and it’s 6 hours in (usually peaks at 4 hours.)

He did wretch this morning without any vomit followed by more loose stool and diarrhea immediately after wretching. I do think it’s his pancreas being an arse but I don’t know what else to do aside from anti nausea medications and waiting since he’s already gone through antibiotics in the hospital.

He is continuing to be alert and happy, coming outside into the garden with me and sunbathing, and there are no ketones or glucose in his urine, I just don’t want his pancreas to fudge things up moving forward.

My other cat has had pancreatitis flare ups but they resolved in a week so this is a first for me (Buddy is going on 3 weeks now and is due for a follow up appointment on Wednesday.)

Any tips would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

some days are just flat, esp if he's feeling yucky. are you adding lots of extra water to his food? I've only had one cat with pancreatitis so not really experienced in it much. we gave him bupe, cerenia, and did sub q's daily for a few weeks. he wasn't my diabetic though.

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Is wretch another word for vomit? This was Minnie’s story too. I was giving her ondansetron for the nausea/vomiting and she’d eat after about 30 minutes but would always throw up in the am on an empty stomach.

As for the numbers being flat all day, he could be bouncing or clearing a bounce. It happens anytime the BG goes too low or the body perceives it as being lower than what’s used to.

Buddy’s Ma likes this.
  4. Buddy’s Ma

Buddy’s Ma Member

His water is regulated via his esophageal tube, I can’t give sub q’s because of his heart condition (too much fluid could cause buildup in his lungs.) that trio is what’s been golden for my other boy, Dexter, also not diabetic though so this is a whole new ball game. And a maddening one haha.

5. JanetNJ

it's tough when they get old.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Buddy’s Ma

Buddy’s Ma Member

It’s the almost vomit haha! When they heave and stick their tongues out but nothing comes out. So strange that both today and yesterday the pooping either came right before or right after. Wonder if it’s because his tummy is emptying ‘on schedule’ now.

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Tips? I wish I had some but I did want to say how impressed I am with your progress.

8. Buddy’s Ma

Buddy’s Ma Member

He’s only 6 so it makes it even more maddening haha!

9. Buddy’s Ma

Buddy’s Ma Member

Thank you, the vets are really happy with it too. I’m hoping once his pancreas heals he gets bumped into a speedy remission. Pleeeeease lawd and all the heavens above!

10. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

11. JanetNJ

Oh geeze

12. Buddy’s Ma

Buddy’s Ma Member

Thank you! Back at’chu boo!

I know right :facepalm:

13. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't see a link to a spreadsheet. If you are having problems creating a spreadsheet and making a link, there are people here who can set it up for you in minutes. Just holler.

Sometimes, not always, a flat cycle is indicative of a big drop in the next cycle. It would be good to get a couple of tests in tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.