? Pancreatitis and weight loss

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by shelaghc, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

I sent a lengthy email to my Jester's vet because he's still so painfully thin, eating as much as three cans of friskies per day, and never seems to gain weight back.

He emailed me a link to information about pancreatitis. Jester did have a bout with it, but seems to be over that now.

If Jester isn't displaying overt symptoms of pancreatitis, why would weight loss be an issue now?

2. shelaghc

Bumping and adding since no one's responded yet.

The only option the vet is suggesting is to have some kind of biopsy done on Jester, which seems extreme.

He had blood work done a few months ago before the diagnosis of pancreatitis to see if the problem then might be thyroid related. That test came out negative. But I'm not convinced. Thyroid tests can sometimes come back negative even when there is a problem.

I'd appreciate comments and / or suggestions.

3. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

I can't figure out how to copy a link so.....type: www2.vet.cornell.edu then search on that site for Feline Peritonitis. It sounds like a biopsy is the only definitive diagnostic tool but treatment can begin if multiple symptoms present.

I am new to this diabetes stuff so I can only offer suggestions from my own research. I believe I read somewhere on this site about weight loss in newly diabetic cats and the subsequent weight gain when the diabetes is controlled.

Personally, my Harley lost 7 pounds prior to diabetes diagnosis. He became extremely picky with his food and was put on an appetite stimulant. He kept losing weight then he finally was diagnosed with full blown diabetes. He does eat well now but can be still picky at times. He gained then lost 1/2 pound but, his diabetes is still out of control. I hope his weight will go up with better control.

I had/have 2 cats with Hyperthyroidism. Sam died cadaverishly thin; unable to get any weight on him. Serena is also very thin but her thyroid numbers are normal on medication. Can't get any weight on her either. Serena is otherwise healthy.

******May I also suggest only feeding the Friskies Classic Pate. That has the fewest carbs.

4. shelaghc

I suspect thyroid related issues myself. But the vet took one test and he won't consider it again. Despite the fact that hyperthyroidism can hide sometimes.

Unfortunately Jester resists all attempts to switch him to anything lower carb than a mid-range.
    I would if I could.

5. shelaghc

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Once appetite returns from pancreatitis they usually regain weight. Years of chronic pancreatitis can lead to EPI which could cause weight loss. Thought might be hyper-t. Had a thyroid panel run recently? Usually the vet would feel a nodule though. Everthing else normal? Could also be the diabetes as I see some pinks.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  7. shelaghc

He had one back when we were trying to diagnose pancreatitis - it came up negative. But I do know they can come up negative even when the thyroid is hyper.
    Vet said he didn't feel the node, but no one is perfect.

There are pinks because he's been eating between 2.5 and 3 cans of food a day and he won't eat anything but medium carb Friskies. I've been trying to get his numbers down but it's rough going.

And no - trying to ween him off them doesn't work.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

At one point I thought Max might be hyper-t. He wasn’t. I did a lot of research and read what Dr. Peterson had to say. If noduals can’t be felt usually not hyper-t.

I wasn’t judging. Of course your cat has to eat. I just thought it might be why he’s so hungry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.