Pancreatitis and Wheezing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Viggo's Mom, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viggo's Mom

Viggo's Mom Member

Hi, my boy Viggo had pancreatitis right after being diagnosed just under a year ago. I remember that he was wheezing a lot then, almost like an asthma kind of breathing. After a check up a couple of weeks ago the vet thought he was flaring up again. I have been treating him with cerenia but I think it might be not going away and he is wheezing again--why is this a thing? IS it a thing? or a coincidence?
    I remember before that the vet thought "oh that's just how he is". I can't find anything on the internet linking wheezing and pancreatitis.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I haven’t heard of a connection either. The only time he wheezes is when he has a pancreatitis flare?

3. Viggo's Mom

Viggo's Mom Member

Yes. He was doing it a lot back then, it went away, and now it's just a little bit with this new "flare up". I think I just better tell the vet but since she wasn't concerned before wanted to ask here.

4. Sharon14

Has the vet actually heard the wheezing or just your telling her about it?

5. Viggo's Mom

Viggo's Mom Member

Honestly I don't remember, it was last January. When she diagnosed him as having a flare up a couple of weeks ago he wasn't doing it. He just started doing it yesterday.

6. Sharon14

I suppose the pain and stress of a pancreatitis flare could bring on asthma or some kind of breathing problem. I would want the vet to listen to his lungs when he’s wheezing just to be sure. Since wheezing isn’t normal, I don’t think I’d accept ‘that’s just how he is’. Hopefully it’s nothing, but if it is the start of asthma it’s better to catch it early.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It’s not likely from pancreatitis but it could be signs of a heart condition. I would want X-rays to rule that and asthma out.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.