Pancreatitis & Commercial Diet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA), Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA) Well-Known Member

All of my cats are on a wet food diet - my diabetic gets Newman's Own organic; the civvies get Friskies Turkey & Giblets or Mixed Grill. We've tried (practically) every other food on the market and Friskies is the favorite and the only one they will always eat.

My civvie Chocolate is 15 years old. Had hyperthyroid disease and so had her thyroid surgically removed. A few months ago she started exhibiting hyperthyroid symptoms again: weight loss, crying uncontrollably, ravenous appetite, vomiting, little to no diarrhea though. Had T4&T3 full panel done along with total body check blood tests done. Had xrays done. All of the results were "perfect" according to the vet. Her thryroid levels were high normal,but that wasn't necessarily a problem. High normal is not good for her though so I asked for tapazole to lower the thyroid levels. Her PCL test was normal.

Her symptoms did not subside (though her T4 level was much lower after 30 days on tapazole) so the vet suggested running a folate and cobalamin test through Univ of Texas lab. This test showed that she has pancreatitis. The vet has prescribed Iams low residue and weekly B-12 injections. I am doing her injections and trying the diet but she will not eat it even if the tiniest amt is mixed in her favorite food.

I have read all about feline diet on Dr. Lisa's site and Max's house. I sometimes supplement homemade chicken (slightly cooked) with the commercial diet. I have tried homecooked diets and raw diets and was not completely successful and at minimum cannot even find a good local supplier for the raw meat. I am willing to supplement a commercial diet with some raw to homemade food occasionally, but at this time I'm not going completely to raw. My main concern is the weight loss. She vomits occasionally and does not have severe diarrhea her stools are just a bit soft. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for high quality commercial diets to help with pancreatitis.

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

3. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for posting these links. I've seen the food chart but wasn't sure what the best numbers were for pancreatitis. Thanks very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.