Pancreatitis? IBD?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teresa & Cricket, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Cricket

Teresa & Cricket Member

My dear Cricket is still not really responding to her insulin. We are starting 4.75 today. It seems the insulin is working a tiny bit, in that she goes down a little, but nowhere near enough.

She has some neuropathy (front rt leg is shaky and back legs slip out easily when eating, poor balance, etc) and it is starting to affect her standing in litterbox. She even half-missed last night.

Also, she was having a bad reaction to food with fish in it (getting stinky cow patty stools) so I switched her back to Pure Vita Chicken pate, with raw thigh meat for snacks and some Evanger's Rabbit (which I might stop bc it has guar gum)

Her stools are normal again, but she strained today- which I've never seen before- and only got a little out.

She is also eating less- about 1.5 cans a day as opposed to 2.5.
    She goes and takes little nibbles and walks away then either takes a tiny sip of water or lays down.
    Eventually, she eats most her food, especially if I mix it up and clang the dish, but just little bites.
    She also visits the water more, but just little sips.

She just seems uncomfortable.
    Her breathing is in normal range (about 24-28), I check daily because of CHF/HCM.

I emailed my vet, but he won't get it til tomorrow.

I'm wondering if this might sound like either pancreatitis or IBD to any of you?
    I know that the symptoms can be hard to pin down.I'm mostly looking for folks experienced with either of those.

I don't smell any fruittiness on her breath, but I am planning on getting a ketone tester to check.
    She does have plaque build-up on teeth, but the last visits, the vets felt it was pretty average.
    Thanks,
    Teresa and Cricket

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Good that you are going to get a ketone tester. I don’t have experience with either IBD or pancreatitis, but wanted to bump up your post

Teresa & Cricket likes this.
  3. Sharon14

How is she this AM?

4. Teresa & Cricket

Teresa & Cricket Member

Thanks for asking, Sharon!
    She's actually doing better.
    She ate all her dinner, afternoon snacks and all her breakfast this morning.
    It's looking like a GI issue, or maybe even dental? I'm gonna check her teeth later, there are roofers working directly over her heads today so I'm trying to minimize her stress.

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Sharon14

Glad she’s better!

6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi I am glad to hear she is doing better--I have a IBD cat and it doesn't sound too much like it. When Rico has a flare he gets water poo that smells absolutely awful. He doesn't want to eat doesn't want to be bothered seems depressed. I try to get fluids in him fast and a shot of cerenia in the fluid bubble (it burns if not)

For dogs panc. would also be water poo and or vomiting not sure with cats.

I give Rico ondansetron/cypro and cerenia almost every day to avoid a flare (he is 20)
    He is on budesonide rather than pred which gave him steroid induced fd
    he also gets sq fluids that seem to help

7. Teresa & Cricket

Teresa & Cricket Member

Hi,
    I took her to the vet a few days ago and he strongly suspects Acromegaly.
    I sent in for the test and am waiting on it.

8. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

It sounds like you have a good vet, many have never even heard of that.
    Some members are very educated on it as well ....:bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.