Pancreatitis in Joe

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by WV Mom's Kid, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WV Mom's Kid

WV Mom's Kid New Member

Joe and I went back to the vet yesterday for his first follow-up. The vet did a feline pancreas-specific lipase on him that came back abnormal suggesting (diagnosing?) pancreatitis. Joe is completely asymptomatic, so it is a little surprising. Does anyone have experience with this? She gave him an antibiotic in case it is infectious. From what I remember, it is possible that the pancreatitis could be causing diabetes in him. So if the pancreatitis is infectious and the infection is cleared by the antibiotic, does that mean good things for his diabetes? She also mentioned tumors but quickly ruled that out because of his weight gain between last visit and yesterday. I do know that his triglycerides are really high. We talked about this when his diabetes was diagnosed the other week, but she said that she wasn't excited about treating them. In humans, high TGs can cause pancreatitis.

I'd appreciate any info you all have on this topic too.

Thanks,
    Lowee

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Here's Marje's Primer on pancreatitis

You can add 20-25% plain meat or poultry to the food, then portion out a feeding, to shift the % calories away from fat and more towards protein, without increasing carbohydrate. That may help.
    (Per Cat Info)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.