Pancreatitis, Mirtazapine & Strange Behavior

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sugar_rush, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugar_rush

sugar_rush Member

Our cat, Kiwi, has been having a flare-up of pancreatitis this week. On Wednesday night we gave him 1/8 of a 15 mg pill of mirtazapine as an appetite stimulant. He has taken this in the past, but it was a new pill.

In addition to crazy vocalizations (much more pronounced than when he previously took mirtazapine), he started sprinting from a dead stop and then stopping to rapidly lick either his left or right shoulder. The vocalizations have calmed down, but the running/licking has continued. It is so bad that he doesn't even seem to have the patience to wait for food. If I sit right next to him he will eat, but otherwise he keeps running away and then licking either shoulder. I have been giving him 1/4 of a tablet of Cerenia every 12 hours since last night. We usually give him the 1/4 pill of Cerenia every 24 hours when he won't eat and is nauseous.

At this point, I think he wants to eat (unlike a few days ago), but the running/licking behavior seems to distract him. He then goes upstairs and spends hours on his cat ledge. That location is not a common one for him.

We can't figure out what's going on. Is he in severe pain from the pancreatitis? Did he have a bad reaction to the 1/8 of a pill of mirtazapine? Is his pillow foot causing pain? Did he have a stroke or seizure when we weren't home?

One note: Over the past month, he has sometimes been "jogging" on the wood floor rather than walking. I don't remember if it was around a time we gave him mirtazapine because we only give it randomly as needed.

Also, Kiwi's BG has been great for over a month - never above 160. He is on 1-3 units of Lantus twice a day.

Does anyone have any experience or insights? I'm sick with worry right now!! :(:(:( How long does 1/8 of a pill of mirtazpine stay active in a cat's body? Of course, I don't even know if any of this is related to the drug. Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  2. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

My cat paced & never quit meowing in the mirtz. The first time I was prescribed 1/4 tab & that lasted all day. In 1/8 tab she is still very vocal but not quite as bad as the first time. Makes them hungry & crazy! Baby seemed to calm after about 4-5 hrs.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The reaction you describe is very likely do to the mirtazpine but only a very few cats have that with the dose of 1/8 of 15 mg tab (note that it also comes in 7 1/2 mg tabs) every two days.
    http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/mirtazapine-cats-how-much-too-much

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  4. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

5. sugar_rush

sugar_rush Member

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

For and appetite stimulant I would try cyproheptadine. The downside is that is has to be given twice daily. Kiwi seems to not tolerate well mirtazapine

7. sugar_rush

sugar_rush Member

We were told to give it every 6 hours as an antidote to the mirtazapine. We are doing that, but Kiwi is very listless today.

8. DevilPup

DevilPup Member

After a similar reaction to mirta. by one of my other kitties, we decided to no longer use the drug. We only use Cyproheptadine now. Seems to work fine and they don't exhibit the bad reactions.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.