Pancreatitis?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bunny0210, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunny0210

Bunny0210 New Member

My vet had Basia on 1/2 unit Lantus every 12 hours and she seemed to perk up a bit but we had the fructosomine blood test done and it was up to 480. The vet figured it was somogyi (sp) where the insulin put her into a low and her body responded by driving the BG up so she spent most of her time in a high. We took her off insulin and I took her BG all day and it averages around 9 - 10 (canadian) (160-170-US) now she seems a bit more lethargic and lays down after she's eaten, so the vet is suspecting Pancreatitis and is suggesting we put her on the pain medication that causes sedation. I said no until we get some blood work done and something more definite. Any advice.
    She's not exhibiting any of the symptoms except lethargy. She's eating well, isn't vomiting

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi
    I am happy to hear there is no vomit but they can still have pancreatitis they all jut show it differently. I am not sure what drug your vet is talking about but I can tell you that when 1 of my boys has a flare I give ondansetron for nausea cerenia for vomiting (even if no vomit I do as precaution and it seems to give them comfort). I also give SQ fluids and the flare is usually only a day or 2 if I catch it quickly. I personally would hesitate to give a drug that causes sedation for 2 reasons...

1) if having a flare you want it to pass thru if is in progress. A sedative will ssllllooowww down the system including possible constipation. Slippery elm bark is helpful as well for constipation and diarrhea.

2) It just makes no sense to me as sedation will not cause the flare to go away it will just knock her out and possibly prolong the flare. I am no expert just my experience, I will tag a few of the wise ones...

@Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey
    @Wendy&Neko
    @Chris & China

Sylvie likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If it IS pancreatitis, it can be a very painful condition which is probably why your vet is suggesting pain meds.

The only one we really recommend is buprenorphine and yes, it can cause some sedation in some cats, but if he's got pain, he needs to be treated.

There are two tests for pancreatitis.....the SNAP fPL which can be done in the office and gives a general "yes/no" answer and the Spec fPL which is sent out and gives a numerical value saying how severe it is.

Cats can have acute episodes where they are really sick, or be chronic and have some level of problem most of the time.

Lots of great information in this Primer on Pancreatitis

Sylvie likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

When my cat had it they had me so daily sub q fluids for about two weeks, cerenia for nausea and bupe for pain. He was back to himself in less than a week.

5. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Those of you using slippery elm... how much do you use? Do you use liquid form? Do you add it to their food or use a dropper and give to them by mouth?

6. Genlilliana

Genlilliana New Member

One of my diabetics has pancreatitis. It's tricky...our cat isn't displaying the typical symptoms either...no vomit, eating and drinking normally...but he's definitely not well. Not grooming, not playing, too lethargic and the cement paws (not burying his deed in the litterbox and not cleaning his paws either.) We were just at the vet yesterday, got pain meds (bupe - plus antibiotic and famotidine (pepcid)) and I can say that this morning he was up and about and seemed to be moving his body a little better. I knew he wasn't feeling well because he'd try to bite me if I picked him up - he was in pain - vet noted muscle wasting.

What was helpful for me was the pancreatitis primer (noted above) - we were totally prepared for the med side of this disease. I would suggest reading that and then talking to your vet again...

7. Bunny0210

Bunny0210 New Member

8. Bunny0210

Bunny0210 New Member

I too wondered about the sedation and it scared me a bit. I have changed vet's to one that is closer and will go over all this with him tomorrow. Thank you for your replies, advice and information.

JanetNJ likes this.
  9. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

10. allison and Bubbles

allison and Bubbles Member

panceatitis cannot to untreated...it can be extremely painful ...I have had it..it is a ten out of ten on pain scale....kitty must be tested

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.