Panicking a bit PMPS=308, +2=275, +3=238 and at +5 he is 160 - what do I do?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cinnie Cole, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I am worried that his BG is dropping from an increased dose of insulin (from 1 U to 1.25 tonight). Please help me figure out what is going on with him and what I should do. Should I give him his Purina DM? Something else?

2. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

First...breathe :) He's perfectly fine, it can be scary to see numbers dropping from preshot, but 160 is very safe, no need to intervene with high carb, and since he is likely close to his nadir now, just feed a small low carb snack. Just to be safe and since you are new with gathering data, you can get a +6, but I suspect he'll maybe come down just a wee bit, or actually flatten out by then.

You can remove 911, he isn't in any danger.

3. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I second what Christine said :)

Don’t Panic! Zoot is safe and doing really well. You’re doing a great job :)

Bellasmom likes this.
  4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

That first blue reading really gets your attention and sets off the anxiety but he's doing what you want him to do. That first blue is to be celebrated not feared. That said, we all panicked too! Ditto to Christie and Amanda's words. Zoot is in great shape and you've got this! :D

Bellasmom, AmandaE and Cinnie Cole like this.
  5. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Thank you so much. I gave him some food and he seems okay, but I just didn't know about that drop. I will get another reading to see if he is evening out. Thanks again - I just didn't know how much further or how fast numbers could drop.

AmandaE and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  6. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I only "got" this cause you all are so awesome. Thanks.

AmandaE likes this.
  7. AmandaE

You’ll learn what is a fast drop for Zoot as time goes on :)

Shows you what a change a quarter unit can make though, doesn’t it. :)

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  8. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Really - only a quarter unit change! You know, if I had taken my Vet's recommendation and increased to 2U, I would probably be a basket case right now (god knows what Zoot! would be like). Yes, this will be something I relate to her when I see her on Friday (as I try to hide my consternation).

AmandaE and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  9. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh to be a fly on the wall to see the look on the vet's face! :woot:

AmandaE likes this.
  10. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

+6=219 so we got the blue, gave him food, and now of course he is back in the yellow. We will let him rest now. Poor guy with his nervous mom.

MrWorfMen's Mom and AmandaE like this.
  11. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Cinnie,

Just read all of this & am relieved to hear all is ok :)!

AmandaE likes this.
  12. AmandaE

Trust me.... we have all been there!
    Right!? When you talk to your vet, let them now that you aren't comfortable with full unit increases at this time and that you're concerned about Hypoglycemic events. Hopefully he will work together with you to provide care that makes you and Zoot comfortable and safe :)

Tomlin likes this.