? PATCHES IS NOW CONSTIPATED AND WON'T EAT AGAIN.....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ceil99, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Patches was given cyproheptadine and it was helping her eat the last few days.

NOW - she stopped eating again and is constipated! She won't eat pumpkin and she won't eat mineral oil. I can try to mix Miralax with some of her syringe food and try and get it down her that way......[​IMG]:(

I just syringed her 5ml of pumpkin....how long should it take? Any other suggestions?:banghead:

2. Lillie

Lillie Member

Mixing the miralax with her syringed food sounds like a good idea. Not sure how long the pumpkin would take to get through her system but I know the miralax takes a while to work. Like over night sometimes. Are you sure she is constipated, or that she just doesn't have much food in her to make any significant bowel movements?

3. ceil99

ceil99 Member

no she went yesterday and it was EXTREMELY hard. this morning, she was in the box like she had to go and was pushing and pushing and nothing came out.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Miralax is tasteless. I'd give it a try. It can take a few days to work. I gave it to Max daily.

5. Lillie

Lillie Member

Yeah- that's constipation- poor thing. My previous kitty got so bad she would hyperventilate and almost pass out trying to have a bowel movement. That was before I knew about Miralax and her vet kept trying to give me lactulose which never worked. Miralax was a life saver for her. I gave it to her on a regular basis three times a week in her food. Is it possible the cyptoheptadine is causing the constipation? Does it have a systemic drying effect like antihistamines?

6. Lillie

Lillie Member

Constipation is one of the side effects of cyproheptadine in people so I imagine it may also have this effect in animals. It slows everything down quite a bit.

7. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

My civvie has a history of constipation and just had a recent bout. When it gets bad we do have to see the vet. This last time he had an enema. You may need to take Patches to the vet to remedy it. If her stool is that hard, and believe me I know what you mean...like a ROCK I don't anything will soften it when it gets to this point.

Going forward it is totally manageable. I used to put Miralax, daily, in my kitty's food but stopped about a year ago because his stool was too soft and appeared to no longer need a little "help". Once my Beenie was diagnosed with FD I switched to FF classics and I should've known a diet change would affect my Ming. So long story short, Patches most likely needs the vets help and then I would mix 1/4tsp of Miralax with Patches wet food once a day and see how it goes. Miralax is the easiest thing for us, no odor no taste.

Good luck and I hope Patches feels better soon :bighug:

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It's possible that the cypro is adding to constipation. I found ondansetron was constipating and so I had to give Max Miralax twice a day when in it for chronic pancreatitis. Dehydration also can cause constipation so I added water to his wet food. He didn't mind that at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.