911 PATCHES NOT EATING AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ceil99, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceil99

ceil99 Member

CAT PEEPS!! I am so worried.

Patches is not eating again and spitting up most of the day. I have her miralax on Sunday because I think she was constipated. She did go some today but she is still not eating. I gave her an appetite stimulant and some syringe food but she is not doing better. I am worried. I dont know what happened.

They all got their Revolution on FRiday. Do you think that was a bad idea for me to give it to her? I figured since she had been doing so well that it was ok. Do you think I made her sick??????????? Is her open bag of fluids still good from last month??

I just tested her and she was 213, so i gave her 1/2u. She has been off insulin for about a month...PLEASE HELP

2. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Revolution can cause nausea and vomiting for sure. I had a dog that threw up after every dose of flea preventative. It's better when applied after they have eaten.
    . If you have any slippery elm gel that can really help the stomach and bowel. It helps my kitty's nausea better then prescription meds and is nutritious.
    Can you try some chicken baby food warmed slightly? It smells good and is gentle on the tummy. I'm sure you know not to let her go long with out eating. We are in the same boat here today. No fun!!

As long as the fluids are clear and not cloudy at all they should be fine. Flush the line a bit first. If it's cloudy don't use it. The generic brand of electrolytes for kids can be given instead. Is there a late pharmacy open near you? That's where I just was! If you want the recipe for slippery elm gel let me know.

Good luck and I hope your kitty feels better and starts eating soon!!!

3. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

I just wanted to say it's been a few days since you have the revolution so that may not be the cause. From what I know nausea and vomiting occur pretty quickly after the dose. Can anyone add anything here?

4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I would not dose any more insulin to Patches until there is more food eaten. If you only have one cat, I would monitor all food intake, in case Patches eats some while you are not watching.

5. ceil99

ceil99 Member

UPDATE: Just got back from ER and her glucose was 331 and glucose showed up in her urine but no keotones. (This is also after I had given he 1/2u at home tonight BEFORE we went to ER). Dr gave her fluids because she was also dehydrated and gave me bag to start her back up on fluids at home. Need to start back up on amoxi because with glucose spilling into her urine, dr said she most likely may have a UTI. Gave her pain meds for a few days to help her - she was crying low . Gonna have to start checking her glucose again and may have to start insulin again to get her back under control. May have to syringe feed her until she starts eating back up again. WHAT A NIGHT!!!

6. ceil99

ceil99 Member

i tested her today and she was 67!!! How could this be? Could my meter be wrong? It is only about 3 months old and strips are good. I gave 1/2u anyway and her amoxi and syringe feeding.

How could she have been 331 and spilling glucose into her urine at midnight at the ER and now show up as 67???????

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Reason for edit: info
  7. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Do you have a spreadsheet for Patches? It would be most helpful.

At what point in the cycle did you get the 67 reading? What type of meter are you using and what type of insulin? Did you retest again after that 67? If a number looks out of "place" the best thing is to do another retest right away.

8. ceil99

ceil99 Member

she has been off insulin for about a month. she got ill and stopped eating yesterday. i tested her at 213 yesterday about 10pm. gave her 1/2u. she was getting worse so i took her to ER and they did blood work and she was 331 at midnight and there was glucose in her urine. Dr told me to start insulin again. that is when i tested her this morning and she was 67. THAT MADE NO SENSE

9. Tuxedo Mom

Vet stress can raise glucose levels. Plus if there is any sort of infection or upset glucose levels can rise. Please do test carefully today if you shot at 67.

10. ceil99

ceil99 Member

she is 44 now - it has been 2 1/2 hrs....did i really mess up??

11. ceil99

ceil99 Member

gave her syringe of food with some honey...she hated it

12. Tuxedo Mom

You need to test every 20 minutes and continue giving syrup/HC gray if the numbers don't come up. You still have at least 4 more hours the numbers can continue dropping.

What type of meter are you using...human or pet?

I am only going to be around a short time. Could you edit your title and add the red "911" icon to your title. Sorry I see you already have the 911

13. ceil99

ceil99 Member

1/2 hr - she is now 53....using relion meter - i do have the 911 icon.

14. ceil99

ceil99 Member

i do have some ad - i know that is a little higher in carbs, but she really didn't care for it when i gave her that when she was diagnosed at first....i don't want her to throw it up

15. Tuxedo Mom

Sorry I forgot you already had the 911 up

OK so far then

Relion meter:

AMPS 67 0.50 unit Prozinc
    +2.5 44 gave honey
    +3 53 some HC ?

You want to keep the numbers above 50 with using a Relion meter. Prozinc will usually have a nadir (lowest number) around +5-+7 depending on the kitty. What you want to do is test every 30 minutes at this point and see if the numbers are staying the same or rising. If they are staying the same or rising you can give a small amount of LC food and retest again. If they rise a lot don't give any food and retest in an hour. After the numbers have risen several tests without food then you can start to relax but still keep testing. If they drop lower again give a bit of HC and retest.

It sounds like she really did not need insulin today. As I said the high numbers at the vet could be from vet stress or if there was something going on that particular day.

I will see if I can get a few other members to keep an eye on this for when I leave.

@Kris & Teasel

16. ceil99

ceil99 Member

she is on prozinc

17. Tuxedo Mom

Thanks I will correct my summary and comments. The timing is still about the same with Prozinc with a nadir around +5-+7 hours.

18. ceil99

ceil99 Member

yes, gave her more syringe food with honey in it. she hated it so much she was growling at me..:'(

19. Tuxedo Mom

As long as she is not still dropping you can use a little gravy from HC or some MC. If she is staying over 50 then a small bit of LC will be fine. If she starts going up a lot higher then don't feed and retest in an hour.

20. Tuxedo Mom

Have you got another reading. It should be about +4 if I am correct?

21. ceil99

ceil99 Member

i am gonna wait about 10 min to let her calm down....it will then be 4 hrs since the insulin

22. Tuxedo Mom

Sounds good. I will be around about another 1/2 hour. There are not many people on the forum right now.

One question?? How long was it in between the shot you gave before going to ER and the shot you gave today?

23. ceil99

ceil99 Member

about 12 hrs

24. Tuxedo Mom

OK Thanks..just trying to fill in the blanks. At 12 hours the previous shot would have been pretty well out of the system so there would be no carry over.

ceil99 likes this.
  25. ceil99

ceil99 Member

she is at 65....4 hrs after insulin and right where we starting this morning....she was walking around and went to get some water!

26. Tuxedo Mom

RECAP:

Relion meter:

AMPS 67 0.50 unit Prozinc
    +2.5 44 gave honey
    +3 53 some HC ? bit more honey
    +4 65

She is staying up so at this point I would not give any food and test again in 30 minutes. By then the honey will have worn off and the HC will not be affecting the numbers. If she stays up after the next test, then you can leave it an hour and you should be at or near nadir time. If the numbers are still staying at or near where they are now then test after an hour.

27. Tuxedo Mom

Did the vet say for sure that she had a UTI? I was reading back on the earlier posts and saw that the vet gave Amoxicillin. A UTI can cause glucose levels to raise. Is Patches eating at all on her own now?

28. ceil99

ceil99 Member

she is really about done with me now at this point, so giving her a little rest is probably a good thing!! :( she is not eating on her own yet. vet said with glucose spilling into her urine, she most likely had a UTI and that could have been causing her pain and numbers to spike and put her on bup and amoxi. She got her bup last night and her amoxi this morning

29. Tuxedo Mom

Glucose spilling into the urine is not a way to diagnose UTI.,,it only shows that the glucose levels are above renal threshold Did the vet do a urinalysis? That would have shown whether there was some sort of infection. Also did the vet check her for pancreatitis? They can do a snap fPL test that will say yes or no...no values but at least an idea if that is the problem. Bupe is used with pancreatitis but also an anti nausea med such as cerenia is also given.

Patches "should" be okay but it would be prudent to test again in an hour just to make sure. I will be gone in a few minutes, but when it comes time for a possible shot this evening, test her about 1/2 hour before it is time and post a separate thread with the reading and asking for dosing advice with a link to this thread.

30. ceil99

ceil99 Member

THANKS ..I think she is out of the woods for now. She looks and is acting better. Still not eating, but I will take one step at a time...if she is below 100 tonight, i am not giving insulin.

31. ceil99

ceil99 Member

she is 92...gave her 1 1/2 syringes of food and her appetite stimulant. She is due for shot at 10pm, but if she stays under 130ish, I don't think I am gonna give her any insulin. She is due to get her fluids around 9pm and her pain shot after that.

32. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Gave her fluids at 9:30 and tested her and she was 95 - so no insulin!!! She is getting syringe food now and her pain meds and hopefully, we can both get some rest!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.